Costly mistake?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

yellowperyl

Costly mistake?

Post by yellowperyl »

While changing the nearside driveshaft oil seal on my Saxo I managed, like a total idiot to tear a hole in the bottom balljoint rubber boot, is it possible to buy this rubber boot on its own or is it as I fear a costly mistake and I will have to buy the whole lower suspention arm? :cry:
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

A split in the boot isn't an MoT failure point - just that it lets dirt in which will destroy the joint in no time.

On a more serious note...try a bit of careful cleaning and try Superglue (no - i'm not kidding). Get a couple of cotton buds dampened with white spirit, clean up the split in the boot and give it a try. You've got nothing to lose!
yellowperyl

Post by yellowperyl »

Thanks for your advice, will try to glue it together tomorrow.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You may find that your friendly local accessory shop has some universal ones - even placed over the top of the split one may do some good.
jeremy
yellowperyl

Post by yellowperyl »

Yes, thanks for your suggestion, I bet placing one over the top would work. Even if they don't sell universal ones, I was thinking that if I bought a track rod end and took the rubber boot of it and put it over the bottom balljoint this may work? Sure it be alot cheaper than buying a lower suspension arm. Will try the glue first though as this will probably be the cheapest option.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi apologies for not being familiar with your model...

cant you buy the whole ball joint for £5-10?

Either screw into lower arm / or undo 3 'torx' bolts...

This is true of most Pugs and Cits until (quite) recently.?

John
deian

Post by deian »

i think a split boot IS an MOT failure.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Your local Maplin/radio shack (electronics DIY) store will stock a comprehensive range of heat shrink tubing.
This is excellent as repair sheating - as it will take up exactly the form on the object it shrinks on to. Therefore it will make the repair tight and leakproof.

May cost you one or 2 trials until you learn how the tubing performs under heat.
The tubing will be in the order of £5 / 1m. Diameter (cold tubing) must be close but little more than the object it goes over. The tubing is rubber-like when shrinked.
You need an electric heatgun. A hairdrier does not supply the required heat.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

jgra1 wrote:

Yes Saxo balljoints are available seperately from the arm,its a press in fit to the arm though so you ideally need access to a hydralic press.
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

deian:

they mean the ball joint rubber boot not one of the drive shaft gaitors - the outer gaiter on a diveshaft is indeed a fail if its split but the ball joint dust cover isnt......

shrink rap method sound interesting - worth a go...

a couple of years back the day before an mot i noticed my outer driveshaft gaiter had a plit in it. i repaired it with super glue and cotton wool - the cotton strands and the glue bond the surfaces together very well - its been on there for 2 years and hasnt split again... yet....
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

deian wrote:i think a split boot IS an MOT failure.
its an advise only,it only fails the mot if there is any play in the joint
regards malcolm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I've had two split cv boots in my time during MOT tests, although I take them to where my dad gets his lorry work done as they go back years so maybe its just for me like but Ive just been told to get it replaced sooner rather than later.

Even had a blown bulb during the test, and I said I have a spare one so he put it in for me....I even went up on the ramps while he did the under car inspection :)
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
yellowperyl

Post by yellowperyl »

jgra1 wrote:hi apologies for not being familiar with your model...

This is true of most Pugs and Cits until (quite) recently.?

John

Unfortunatly this is not the case on my Saxo, the arm and ball joint are all with in the same casting.

Had a look at the Maplins web site and unfortunatly they don't do a heat shrink sleave big enough, so I'm goin to try the cotton wool and glue method this morning.
yellowperyl

Post by yellowperyl »

Just finished using the super glue and cotton wool method, worked a treat, didn't take long either! :D Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, you've saved me loads of time and money!