Help changing XM Aux drive belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bluesetc

Help changing XM Aux drive belt

Post by bluesetc »

Trying to get my XM 2.5TD ('95) back on the road for Xmas after Aux drive belt went. Got the belt, studied Haynes and started in. Fell at the first hurdle - loosening the retaining bolt in the centre of the eccentric tensioner pulley. The car has AC so the belt arrangement is more convoluted and there's very limited access even after taking everything off that I can. Does anyone know the precise size of the retaining bolt (can't see and don't want to risk damage) and any hints on a tool that I could get on it and would leave me enough leverage to loosen it. Even a reference to previous postings would be great.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

You may wish to post on the Yahoo groups XM list for an answer to this.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XM-L
HTH
rg
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Hi,
I replaced the belt on my car. If you take the right front wheel off including the plastic wheel arch protection, you'll be able to see what you're doing. I had a self-tensioner on the belt, you have to force it towards the rear of the car to slip the belt off the pulleys. Once off, undo the three bolts that hold the tensioner in place and take it off to get the belt out.
To put the new belt on (check all the pulleys for dead spots and play) put it over the pulleys and put the tensioner back on. Once it's bolted back, force it to the rear of the car again and push the belt over.
The setup on your car is probably different though. (mine's '95 16v with AC)
Niek. (I posted this yesterday too and it somehow never showed..)
bluesetc

Post by bluesetc »

Niek
Thanks for this.
The set up may be different.Mine has automatic tensioner, but manual says I can't release it without loosening centre bolt on one of the pulleys - and that's the bit I can't get at. The belt is off (broken) so I'm really just trying to get the new one on. I'll have another look, in the light of what you've said and see if there are any other options.
marski
My Cars:

Post by marski »

i've just done mine, same model as yours,it's fiddly but you can do it yourself.give me a ring on 01304 831542[uk]