Strut top failure?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2.1td
My Cars:

Strut top failure?

Post by 2.1td »

The topic of Xantia front strut top failure has been well covered in this forum, but I can't help but think that there is significance between poor sphere condition and strut failure? I saw a Xantia "bouncing" along the other day and I imagined the stresses placed on the strut top mountings due to the lack of cushioning by the empty spheres. Those of us who know about this will be thinking, why doesn't this guy spend £50 and a) save his fillings from falling out and b) save his front suspension from self destructing! The owner will probably wait until it fails the MOT before being forced to do something. I know motoring isn't cheap these days, but it amazes me just how many people have no idea about preventative maintenance and wait until a crisis arrives! Yet again another Xantia will be condemned to bad PR because of poor maintenance! :cry: Off the soapbox now! Thoughts?
Be careful!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont think spheres gone is the cause of bent bonnet syndrom but im sure it will brings it on sooner rather than later,as the cause is due to the bonded rubber braking down with age hence letting damp into the metal dome coroding it away,it always used to be said back in the GS/CX days the hard suspension will knock out your are bearings,which i belive to be true
regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Did anybody find a cheaper source for strut tops than the dealer?

It seems I need one for the near side on my '94, with the local scrap yards are getting newer Xantias in e.g. they've had a 97 in, I was wondering whether a scrapyard strut top was worthwhile.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Kowalski wrote:Did anybody find a cheaper source for strut tops than the dealer?

It seems I need one for the near side on my '94, with the local scrap yards are getting newer Xantias in e.g. they've had a 97 in, I was wondering whether a scrapyard strut top was worthwhile.
I don't feel there's any reason why you can't use a GOOD s/h one IF you're fortunate to see one in a yard. The obvious caveat here is to make REALLY SURE you check the condition carefully before buying and then fitting it. Just make sure what you get is worth the trouble.

I bought two crackers the other day for 15quid each as emergency back ups if I get a car that's urgently in need of them - that is a real saving over the new 110quid price although there's no guessing what life is in ANY OF THESE (NEW OR SH)!!

So long as there's no sign of cracking or rusting protect any of these by liberal painting/waxoiling to prevent any issues later. The job isn't too bad a task to do yourself, so can be a quick economical fix.

To recap, the real sh!t is the delaminating of the metal collar thanks to the rubber shrouding trapping moisture into a rather thin flimsy unprotected metal shoulder - plus the rubber donut gives and splits too although I'd guess the metal will pack in first.

Andrew
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

One reason to go for new items is that the new replacement strut tops seem to have been redesigned to be a bit more rugged, so they may in fact last a lot longer than the originals...(the new ones on my car certainly seem a lot better than the original types still on my Dad's car...)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

My Dad has been dispatched to the scrapyard for a new strut top, he got one off a '97. Its in pretty good condition, the rubber has started to part with the metal at the very edge so its not perfect but it can be sealed again I'd bet.

The price, five pounds! The scrap man also helped him get it off, there was no way to depressurise the suspension other than disconnecting the hydraulic pipe to the strut, so a bit of a bath in LHM was had. I suspect the particular scrapyard won't sell many of them.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Sounds like a decent yard to do business with (for a change :roll: )

Whereabouts are you, and was the Xantia a saloon or estate in dark green!?

Andrew
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats good as long as it the right one for your car
regards malcolm
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

I didn't see the car it came off, since I'd sent my Dad...

The scrapyard was one of the many at West Sleekburn, they're out of the way and have no passing trade as such so their prices are realistic.

There are only 4 different strut top types, Non power steering, Non Hydractive w Power Steering, Hydractive w Power Steering and V6, a left and a right for each, the one I've got came off a 1.8 16v (I know that because my Dad got a door trim for the chromed bit), it does appear to be the right type.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Kowalski wrote:The scrapyard was one of the many at West Sleekburn, they're out of the way and have no passing trade as such so their prices are realistic.
Holy Cow!

I was born about 4 miles away in Ashington General Hospital and lived in Stakeford for my first 4 years!! My parents moved to Swansea when the DVLC was set up there and needed someone who knew how to actually do things properly! :wink:

Still have family in Ashington and Bedlington although I'm 6 hours drive away down here!!

Wherabouts are you Kowalski!?

Andrew