ZX brake noise- only under heavy braking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simoncanfer

ZX brake noise- only under heavy braking

Post by simoncanfer »

I get a grinding noise after heavy braking, when the brakes are hot. My pads and discs are worn but within spec. I am sure the noise is from the front brakes.

Could it be heat affecting the wheel bearings?

Any ideas?

Simon

Car is a ZX TD, 1997, with Lucas brakes. 109k miles.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Could be the slider part of the calipers being a bit slow coming off, a clean and grease should sort it.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

I recently (last week) changed the front discs and pads on my ZX, and I found that some of the grinding noise appeared to be from the wear sensor wire getting trapped between the pad and disc (and the lack of any meat on the pads)

it might be worth checking as it seems quite easy to get the wires caught when changing or inspecting the pads.
French car free zone....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I too suffered from this, a bit of bare wire was rubbing on the disc which was causing a lot of heat to be produced which partially melted the rubber connector block near it, causing great amounts of heat which could be felt as soon as you got close to the wheel and lots of nice burning smells.

Electrical tape and was all sorted.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

Simon,

I think its best if you do what Oily suggested as a starting point, you can check the wear indicator wire whilst you're at it as it seems that they can be a source of noise (me) and heat (Mez). If thats not the source of the problem, maybe its time for new brake discs and pads, I got all the parts for mine for less than 50 squid from a local motor factor (short notice) but I'm willing to bet (no money will change hands) that you can get the bits cheaper from GSF.

Not sure about heat effecting the wheel bearings, somebody else around here is bound to know.....

Pete
French car free zone....
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

I've cleaned and copper-greased the front brakes, which made little difference. I have also found one of the back drums was out of adjustment; one wheel was unbraked with the handbrake full on! So now I have better overall braking and so far have not noticed the grinding noise.

As for wires - "laugh out loud" - neither side has a complete unbroken set! I've never relied on them :)

Simon