re the bad xantia brakes thread

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MATTT

re the bad xantia brakes thread

Post by MATTT »

just replaced the spring inside the plastic brake button actuator with a piece of copper pipe as in a thread i found on here

well that transformes the brakes from spongy with no chance of doing a progressive stop to the sharpest brakes ive ever driven with !

only thing i might do is put a washer each end or the pipe as i guess it could wear through the plastic eventually as the pipes a thin edge not like the spring which had both ends flattened out slightly

takes about 10 mins to do and well worth it, i prob wouldnt have let the other half drive the car before doing this mod
citroen xantia turbo diesel 1.9
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

mattt,
how far up to you have to poke your fingers to release the spring plunger?i can't actually see it...going to give it a try myself this weekend,thanks
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

I did mine just over a month ago and I now have the same great brakes that I got used to when driving BX's - no more kangarooing up to junctions.

It's impossible to miss the plastic spring holder and pretty easy to take out although mine was a bit of a tight fit and I had to gently lever it out with a broad bladed screw driver. I would suggest you make the replacement tube exactly the same length as the spring, any longer and you may have difficulty wangling the holder back into place.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

What diameter pipe is required to do this mod?

GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I've just used a piece of 15mm copper pipe.

Steve.
not applicable
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

I've just done the mod and can positively say thats the first time in my car driving career that i've done a repair quickly,cheaply and with so much dramatic effect.....my poor dogs ended up in the footwell several times since the mod....i'll have to get him strapped in in future.good job i put new discs and pads on last week.
MATTT

pedal

Post by MATTT »

just lift the pedal up as far as you can and put your hand behind it
the plastic bar you can feel just wobble it gently pushing it away from you
it slides out of a little horseshoe clip in the pedal itself
its pretty easy to do and only takes 10 mins tops including cutting up a bit of copper pipe

i might take it back out though and put a slightly shorter peice of 15mm pipe in there as i can then put a washer at each end or i think theres a small chance the pipe will cut into the plastic housing after a time

de no more kangarooing up to junctions now too :)
citroen xantia turbo diesel 1.9