Front speaker replacement on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Front speaker replacement on Xantia

Post by leithant »

Hi

Hi I have a 95 VSX, and I am wanting to replace the front (split) speaker system. I am having trouble following where the speaker cables run. Anyone tried this job before on a Xantia? I need to install a passive crossover each side, don't know where yet - it's pretty crowded!

Thanks,
Leith
06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
95 Peugeot 306 S16
95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased :-(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Are you using seperate speakers for treble and bass? if so it depends where the other one is located. The easiest way to find them is either where they are connected to the speaker in the door, or behind the radio, if you want them all together.
leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by leithant »

Yes I am installing a split system. The trouble is because the new ones have a seperate crossover I need to wire both the tweeter and bass to it, so I can't just slot in the new drivers in place of the others. I might end up running new cables anyway - easier and better in the long run, I s'pose.
95 Peugeot 306 S16
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

As the speaker system in the Xantia uses separate bass and tweeters it will already have crossovers. If the crossover frequencies are similar to your new system, and of a similar power rating, this would save you having to install the new ones - you could simply replace the drive units.
The technical info on the audio must be out there somewhere, perhaps Anders will know where.

Citroen always used to fit Audax speaker systems and they are well respected in the audio/Hi-Fi world for producing top quality systems so the standard crossovers will be well thought out and constructed from reasonable quality components.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by leithant »

I'm no expert, but on mine it just looks like they fitted a very basic crossover to the tweeter.
95 Peugeot 306 S16
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The most basic and simple crossover to the tweeters - is a series connected bipolar capacitor. Together with the speaker coil it filters out the low frequency (bass) range - effectively protecting the tweeter from the high energy bass sounds.
You dont need any more elaborate filtering for tweeters in a car.

- unless you're one of those freeks needing gold plated connectors and special opaque "hi-quality" speaker wires in your stereo installation.
Forking out £££'s for such an installation - you will always hear the difference - to bear your pains from the wallet.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

leithant wrote:I'm no expert, but on mine it just looks like they fitted a very basic crossover to the tweeter.
You are probably correct, I've not delved into the audio on the Xantia.
As Anders said, this is most likely thought to be adequate for in car.
After all, given that the tweeter and bass units are so widely separated, poorly positioned and firing on completely different axis, the hope of getting anything resembling HiFi is slim.

I think the one fitted to the BX was a more complex one though as the last BX I owned had a 'centre' bass (under the dash), receiving the LF from both channels this would have required a more complex crossover I would have thought.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

DaveW wrote:I think the one fitted to the BX was a more complex one though as the last BX I owned had a 'centre' bass (under the dash), receiving the LF from both channels this would have required a more complex crossover I would have thought.

Dave.
That was the earlier BX'es. Not complex - just combined. A dual coil unit covering lo/mid range. The later BX models had the common lo/mid range speakers in each front door.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by leithant »

AndersDK wrote:The most basic and simple crossover to the tweeters - is a series connected bipolar capacitor. Together with the speaker coil it filters out the low frequency (bass) range - effectively protecting the tweeter from the high energy bass sounds.
You dont need any more elaborate filtering for tweeters in a car.

-
Yeah that's what mine have. One of the tweeters died so it's a good excuse to upgrade. The originals were ok, but you don't have to spend much to do better. It's posible the later models had better units??? As for the crossovers I wasn't terribly fussed but that's what the newies came with, and it's the sound that matters, more than how it's done. But all the same it's very crowded behind that dash, and the original setup would have been easier.

BTW I traced the speaker cables, and they run at the very back of the dash and up to the tweeters - almost impossible to tap into. So it looks like I'll run some new cables from the head unit, to the crossovers and then to the tweeter and bass unit.

Thanks for the replies guys :)
95 Peugeot 306 S16