Xantia windscreen washer tubing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pantherd90

Xantia windscreen washer tubing

Post by pantherd90 »

Rather a daft question, but how do you replace the tubing to the windscreen washers. Mine is pretty old and has snapped in at least one place. I've tried patching it up, but it doesn't stay patched for long. As far as I can see the pipe heads downwards and towards the inside of the car. I got the impression that possibly the pipe went towards the back of the car?

I have a length of tubing and a non-return valve so can do the job, if somebody can give me an idea how hard/easy it is.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

This is only a guess, but on the Zx the washer bottle pump was in the drivers side wheel arch at the front (just had to remove the lining) so I imagine it may be there on a Xantia.

I would think that you could tape the new tube to the old tube and pull the old tube up away from the pump (from the bonnet area with your hands) waiting for the new tube to appear.

One wonders if that is a sensible post or not :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

I'll take a look at what the Haynes Manual has to say. I don't have high hopes though, as I believe I looked at it before and it was less than helpful.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Not much use either, :? but one pipe does go to the back of the car for the rear window washer.
All I can think of is that there would be two pumps and two hoses, as there are two washer switches.
There are also models with headlight washers.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

Fortunately I've never had the trouble of headlight washers. If my headlights are that dirty, I get out and clean them.....

I'll be taking a look in the next hour or two, can't say i look forward to taking entire body panels off the car, but.. thats life...
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

Hayes manual recommended I jack up the car, put the front wheels on axle stands and block the rear wheels, remove the drivers side wheel. And then remove the pump (from where I'm not quite sure but guessing from the wording, somewhere behind the wheel..). All that.. just to change a bit of tubing, that surely, if someone had bothered, could have just gone straight through the engine bay, there's pleanty of space for it.

Either way, I gave up at that point (in fact I gave up slightly before when I had considered taking off the wing and noticed the number of very stiff bolts involved, including a few underneath the car that had rusted away).

I've patched the pipes together and tightened the tubing I used to seal the pipes to one another with some cable ties. Unfortunately my other washer jet now appears to be refusing to cooperate and sprays water all over the place (a weak connection at the bottom of the jet I believe, but I didn't want to break the tubing trying to get it tighter).

In summary, unless you have a lot of time on your hands and some axle stands, don't bother changing the pipe.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Having had my washer bottle out recently I can tell you that, on mine at least, there is one pump for both front and rear washers it spins one way for front and the other for rear. Mine also has a heavy duty pump for the headlamp washers. It's not too difficult to get to the pipe from under the bumper ( you can see it if you look from underneath ) but if you remove the wheel and wheel arch liner it makes life easier and also if you remove the indicator pod you can get your hand in there from the front and get a bit more visibility.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm