ZX Volcane Tickover

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nic-mags
My Cars:

ZX Volcane Tickover

Post by nic-mags »

Hi,Hope somebody can give me some advice to a couple of problems we've been having with my wifes ZX Volcane.Firstly,the tickover is very uneven and can vary between 1000rpm and go as high as 2000rpm.Once the revs pick up it's as sweet as a nut all the way through the rev range,it's totally reliable and doesn't stall and mpg doesn't seem all that savage,also,there was a high pitched squealing coming from the rear off side wheel arch,which i believed was coming from the inside of the tyre--when i changed from 195 to 185 tyres--the noise has as good as gone but i can sometimes hear it very faintly.It's got the alloy wheels and is a K reg.Many thanks.Oh by the way it's a petrol.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The idle problem could be difficult to diagnose, but it will be one (or more!) of the engine sensors. Probably the idle control valve / stepper motor (if they have one of those!). Could also be air flow meter (which ever type use), or throttle position sensor. You could try unplugging and plugging back in a couple of times all the multi plug connectors you can find under the bonnet - this may cure it.
As for the squealing tyres - I think the ZX uses trailing arm suspension, and that the bearings / bushes in the arm can be prone to wear, leading to the wheel leaning inwards at the top - causing it to catch the inner wheel arch. I may be way wrong here of course!
Richard
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

also the coolant sensor that does the cold start valve? ive had problems with these in my mi16 pugs and my gte astras!