Xsara rear wheel brake compensator?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boroboy

Xsara rear wheel brake compensator?

Post by boroboy »

Hi all,
I own a 99 Xsara 1.4 LX.

Is the sprung rod linkage that connects onto the brake compensator suppose to be loose? Does this compensator only work when the car is fully loaded?

Cheers.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Nope -

Its got to be under tension of the spring - and is continously variable according to load. Its a slide valve gradually allowing more rear brakes pressure when the boot is loaded.
Seems you are on to a dismantling/cleaning/lubing job :

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 561020.gif

The valve comes with new rod and spring - and differs for ABS/nonABS cars.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

AndersDK,
Much appreciated reply, I will give it the once over. You know your stuff, more detail than Haynes.

Does the compensator even the rear brake distribution & in theory prevent rear brake lock? This is my first Citroen, but heaps better than a previous 8v Lag.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The compenstor is only there to limit the rear brakes pressure on an unladen car.
On light load or empty boot - the rear wheels must not produce too much brakes force - to prevent the rear wheels locking before the front wheels does.
If that happens - then the car would instantly flip around rear end in the driving direction. Happily all car makes with a rear brakes limiter valve (including Citroen) is designed such that the rear brakes alway will be missing rear brakes force on valve failure - i.e. linkage seizing because of corrosion.
Even my old 1972 Simca1501 was made that way :wink:

There is no special provison for distributing or even out the brake forces between the 2 rear wheels. That is done automatically by the brake fluid pressure in the brake lines. If you experience problems with one rear wheel tends to lock while the other wheel keeps taking the day off - then you have to do a thorough rear brakes service.
A very common job on any car :idea:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the spring should not be under any load whilst the car is unlaiden,it should be adjusted utill it just takes up the slack,as it should be fully of when the car is not under load
regards malcolm
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

AndersDK,
Thanks for the info, at least I understand fully now hat this compensator does. When I've checked the sprung linkage it's loose when there's no weight in the car & I presume it'll tighten up when fully laden.

I'm experiencing a rear wheel locking up prob, mainly in the morning when I'm reversing off the drive & braking lightly, the rear wheel (passenger side), sometimes locks up. Think it may be a shoe fault, going to strip it down tomorrow. Think the torque setting for my car are 185NM.
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

citronut,
Thanks for the info.