Gearbox info reqd. details and codes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Gearbox info reqd. details and codes

Post by sooty »

Where can I find a site which shows details and Model codes for the gearboxes used in the Peugeot and Citroen range.

IE: "BE3" what models use these gearboxes and its ratio's
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you ever find it - please share with us 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

If there is no site to find this info.

Anyone know what Pug and Cit models are fitted with a BE3 gearbox petrol or diesel.
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You will find codes and ratios in Glass's Technical Information - which is an annual publication used by the trade to ensure that they use the wrong information for your car.

Gearboxes aren't as simple as plain BE3 - there are numerous models - with different gear and final drive ratios - and in some cases even different ratios for saloons and estates which are otherwise similar.
jeremy
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

AndersDK wrote:If you ever find it - please share with us 8)
Seek and you shall find. Sort of...

http://www.citroen-auch.com/documentati ... ISSION.PDF

Lots of other handy PDFs on that site too:
www.citroen-auch.com/documentation
ImageImage
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This weeks winner of a big hug & kiss is ... :D

Some clarifying info :
In general all type XU engines are fitted with either the earlier (-> approx '88/'89) BE1 - or the later (approx '88/'89 ->) BE3 g/b.
The main difference is the location of the reverse gear on the selector shaft - and the way the reverse gear lock is released.
BE1 have reverse up&left
BE3 have reverse down&right

The BE1/BE3 type g/b may be swapped between XU engine range - provided the original gearchange linkage are swapped too.
If not you will run into all sorts of problems locating the gearstick correctly - and selecting reverse.
Because its the g/b - not the linkage - that decides the location of reverse - you can NOT "move" the location of reverse gear on the stick by the linkage.

Likewise most type TU engines have the MA type g/b fitted.
The 2 box types (BE/MA) can not be swapped as they have a special flange to fit either engine type they go on.

Designations like BE3/5 means the BE3 box with 5 forward gears.
Likewise a designation MA/4 means the 4 forward gear MA g/b for smaller TU engine variants.

And the engine types ?
As a rule of thumb :
TU engines are the smaller variants from 0.9 to 1.4 Liter engines (though later types 1.6L are now present)
XU engines are the midrange engines from 1.6 to 2.0 Liter (though a 2.1L diesel exists)

Rarely you will find any sticker or plate on the g/b telling its the one or the other type. Instead its moulded into the housing - and the sticker will tell you the main variant type - which may cover even a wider range of sub-variants - according to ratios, max torque, differentail fitted, etc, etc.

Hope this is some help to newcomers.
You hardcore old members with oily fingers & black nails are welcome to throw in additional info :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image