Misleading fuel guage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Grant Withington
My Cars:

Misleading fuel guage

Post by Grant Withington »

Has anyone any experience of changing the fuel level sender on a Xantia? My 1.9TD shows 3/4 when full, and will do well over 100miles when the warning light cones on. Is it easy.
Thanx in advance
Grant
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

I never changed one, but I have gone into the Tank,and as far as I can remember there is nothing too difficult around that department.It is MOST IMPORTANT to depressurize the system first.This is done from under the back seat as follows. Lift up your back seat, raise the carpet under the seat, and disconnect the wires leading into the tank,start the engine allow it(the engine) to run until it cuts out (10 minutes or 15mins).The rest is obvious.Allow your tank to go fairly empty before you start the job,as it is more difficult with a full tank,save yourself from getting splashed with Diesel.haynes advise renewing the rubber seal on the sender unit I did'nt, but I was not fitting a new unit,only cleaning the tank. The difficulty I encountered was refitting,or placing the unit down into the tank,as the rubber seal is very tight,this I solved with the application of Vaseline around the seal.
Edited by - jmd on 20 Dec 2002 00:09:31