xantia front ride height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

xantia front ride height

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi guys

Does anyone have a diagram of the front height corrector on my m reg td xantia as the front is sitting to high compared to my other m reg xantia is it the same as the rear as ive worked on the rear corrector in the past on another car but never on the front.

cheers
pete....................................
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
deian

Post by deian »

see my post about 'suspension still harsh' (recent one), mandrake posted some diagrams and numbers there for ride height
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:see my post about 'suspension still harsh' (recent one), mandrake posted some diagrams and numbers there for ride height
I think he's asking for a diagram of the height corrector not the ride height. (Although obviously the latter information will be of great help in setting the ride height too :lol: )

Pete - the front height corrector is exactly the same as the rear from the point of view of setting the height - the rollbar clamp is in the middle of the rollbar visible through a hole in a bracket.

Don't confuse that with a second rollbar clamp towards the right hand end of the rollbar which goes to the Hydractive 2 body movement sensor. (Leave that one alone - it wont be there if you don't have Hydractive 2 anyway)

The main problem with setting the front height is that the height corrector is in a VERY awkward position as it is a long way back and you can't do the job without a pit, hoist, or ramps.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

have you seen where it is on a 2.1td then, even if you trained a spider to do it he'd have difficulty. i can see a 'part' of it, i hope the 1.9 is better, good luck
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Aye, the 1.9's arent too tricky - just very sensitive when it comes to rotating them and you have to be quick enough before you get the fans blowing hot air at you.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would not go adjusting ride hights without first checking the hight corector linkage is moveing as it should,as these adjustments do not alter them selfs,so it has got to be down to sticking linkages
regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for your speedy replys well did,nt mention ive just changed the o/s bottom arm and the n/s strut top yesterday (it was about to go! :shock: ) and since then ive noticed the front go down as much as it used to so i think i may have disturbed something namely the front hight corrector clamp by completely disconecting the antiroll bar from both drop links.

what you guys think :?:

pete..........................
Drives
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I think you should have a look on this schematic to compare on yor car :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 366100.gif

items 3 & 4 are the arb clamps (front & rear resp.). item 6 is the small plastic connector link known to break after years of service.
The small ball hook on the arb clamps are known to break away as well.

Both are available as genuine parts - reasonable priced - at your local dealer.

Note that the arb clamps differs as pr thickness of the arb - which in turn is in accordance to exact engine/model/year specs.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi Anders

Thank you for the diagram just what i needed ill have to get my ramps out and have a closer look but im going to have to wait for another day now as the rain has moved in tonight but ill have a look tomorrow night im hoping just the plastic connector has just come off but i did some citrobotics tonight and the car raises and lowers square but when it settles on the normal ride height the front is definatly to high when it comes down from full height it comes to a stop about 3 inches to high thats why i keep thinking ive moved the front arb clamp by moving the anti roll bar about to much.

Pete...............................
Drives
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

pete@co.uk wrote:hi Anders

Thank you for the diagram just what i needed ill have to get my ramps out and have a closer look but im going to have to wait for another day now as the rain has moved in tonight but ill have a look tomorrow night im hoping just the plastic connector has just come off but i did some citrobotics tonight and the car raises and lowers square but when it settles on the normal ride height the front is definatly to high when it comes down from full height it comes to a stop about 3 inches to high thats why i keep thinking ive moved the front arb clamp by moving the anti roll bar about to much.

Pete...............................
Hi Pete,

If you disconnected the rollbar at BOTH ends at the same time and let it hang down you could have indeed upset the height corrector, as there is then nothing to prevent the rollbar turning too far, the linkage connected to the rollbar can only handle it turning a certain number of degrees.

If I was disconnecting both rollbar droplinks at once I'd disconnect the height corrector plastic link coupling to prevent this. (Or loosen the clamp)

It's possible you've bent something like the rod attached to the clamp or that the clamp has just slipped on the rollbar a bit.

If you only disconnect one droplink at a time you don't run into this problem because the side still connected keeps the rollbar rotation within the normal operating range...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

pete@co.uk wrote:Hi guys

Thanks a lot for your speedy replys well did,nt mention ive just changed the o/s bottom arm and the n/s strut top yesterday (it was about to go! :shock: ) and since then ive noticed the front go down as much as it used to so i think i may have disturbed something namely the front hight corrector clamp by completely disconecting the antiroll bar from both drop links.

what you guys think :?:

pete..........................
maybe in doing this you have moved a sticking linkage,if the clamp is done up tight enough what you did it should not move
regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

Thank you mandrake and citronut for your speedy replys well ive had a look at the clamp tonight and sure enough id moved it so working with the car on my ramps ive adjusted ride height to satisfaction now everything is now ok. but in future i shall just take of one drop link, a lesson learnt :).

regards

pete..............................
Drives