Drop Links Help Please !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nesssalmon

Drop Links Help Please !

Post by nesssalmon »

Hi I am fitting my new drop links (A Roll Bar) to both sides, (front) to my Xantia TD Estate P reg. I have removed the old ones using mole grips.

When fitting the new ones the nut just spins the bolt around. How do you tighted the nut without the bolt spinning?

Sorry if this is a bit obvious.

Many Thanks
Robert :?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Two possible ways - use a spanner and an allen key, or just push the bolt into the correct position and then apply a bit of force on the bottom suspension arm near the wheel end of the arm with a floor jack to put a bit of thrust on the droplink balljoint, then you should be able to use a normal socket drive on it without the balljoint spinning around. (I used the latter approach on mine)

This is for the top balljoint by the way, do the top balljoint first, then remove the jack and the weight of the hub hanging down should be enough to lock the bottom balljoint so the nut can be tightened.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would have thought for the lower joint you will need to put you jack under the anti roll bar right beside the swivel pin nut leaving enough room to get your socket onto the nut,and the top one has an allan key slot in the end of the swivel pin as it is not a tapperd pin like most swivel pins are
regards malcolm
nesssalmon

Many Thanks

Post by nesssalmon »

Many Thanks for the exellent & fast help, new drop links fitted. No more knocking, as quiet as a baby.

Does anyone hapopen to know the torq setting for the nuts on the droplinks?

Cheers
Robert :lol:

(Now do I dare to examine my strut tops :shock: - maybe Ill wait a bit)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Some are 10mm thread, some are 12mm thread. 10mm - 30lbs, 12mm 50lbs.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
nesssalmon

Many Thanks

Post by nesssalmon »

Many Thanks :wink: I will have a look at the thread mm

Robert
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

citronut wrote:i would have thought for the lower joint you will need to put you jack under the anti roll bar right beside the swivel pin nut leaving enough room to get your socket onto the nut,and the top one has an allan key slot in the end of the swivel pin as it is not a tapperd pin like most swivel pins are
regards malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

Yeah, sometimes you might need to do that, but I found I didnt have any trouble at all - in fact the weight of the hub hanging on the bottom joint was enough to make it bind so I could tighten it as well...I only needed the jack to neutralize the load to insert the top bolt in the first place...

Of course over here everything near the road doesn't rust away like crazy :wink:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mandrake wrote:
citronut wrote:i would have thought for the lower joint you will need to put you jack under the anti roll bar right beside the swivel pin nut leaving enough room to get your socket onto the nut,and the top one has an allan key slot in the end of the swivel pin as it is not a tapperd pin like most swivel pins are
regards malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

Yeah, sometimes you might need to do that, but I found I didnt have any trouble at all - in fact the weight of the hub hanging on the bottom joint was enough to make it bind so I could tighten it as well...I only needed the jack to neutralize the load to insert the top bolt in the first place...

Of course over here everything near the road doesn't rust away like crazy :wink:

Regards,
Simon
sorry i forgot you guys down under are working upside down and with revers gravity HE HE HE
REGARDS MALCOLM