LHM leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

LHM leak

Post by Crinkle Cut Jasper »

Driving my '94 M plate xantia 1.9td home from work the other day, the RED light of doom flickered on and off.......... :(

I made it home and left it for the night. I went to have a look at it the next day and found a nice puddle of LHM underneath....

To cut a long story short, I found a leak. It is coming from the drivers side front sphere pipework. The pipe that comes out of the sphere itself is ok but about 5-6 inches down from that as it sort of curls around, has 2 tiny pinholes which fire out a nice green jet of LHM :x

As luck has it, i have a decent spares car which has the pipework needed so no probs there.

My question is - how straight forward is changing the pipe? I can see that it goes to the back of the brake doseur(?) and that access seems fairly easy (for a xantia!).

Do i need to drain the system - although its doing a pretty good job of that itself :wink: - or can i de-pressurise the system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jas
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Changed one a few years ago and the pipe goes all the way to a T piece underneath the LHM Tank. The twists etc in the pipe make it hard to get back in to place again. Clipped along the bulkhead/firewall if I remember correctly. A bit of paticence required in fishing it through !

Brian

97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TS (RIP)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the replacment pipe is a mod as citroen did not leave suficiant pipe to allow for movment so the original pipe fractures right where it is fixed to the inner wing,the new one comes bent to the right shape for where it fits to the car,but to install it properly you will need to straighten it out quite a bit as it runs right across the bulkhead under all the other pipes and the cklutch cable,great fun,when you fit it it must not touch any other pipe or anything ellss apart from the plastic clips it is held by,otherwise it will shafe through in no time at all
regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Had that when the car was 56,000 km old.
They silver soldered where it was leaking and removed the clamp that holds the pipe to the inner wing to allow flexing of the pipe over more length.
I also stuck a piece of sponge between the pipe and the inner wing to prevent chafing.
The car has clocked up 163,000 km now, and it’s still holding out.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389