Dead 1998 Mk 2 Xantia 2.0i 16v autoadaptive Exclusive-ideas?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Dead 1998 Mk 2 Xantia 2.0i 16v autoadaptive Exclusive-ideas?

Post by andmcit »

Seemingly I've gone and "volunteered" myself with another 'challenge'.

I bought the Xantia on the understanding it had snapped it's cam belt! Yes, I know, but I AM a bit of a Citroen masochist!! It is a VERY nice car being a FULLY LOADED estate.

The only thing it's the belt is actually OK, connected and whirring round correctly on the starter. As the speed of the turnover is very fast with no cough/hicup of spark/fuel it would appear the compression HAS gone. I'll recheck but don't see any problems with the oil or water levels.

What would be the consensus on my first course of action?

Do I get a compression test before I think about removing the head? Anything more obvious or MORE obscure that anyone can suggest before I do anything!?

The car is sitting on a trailer at the moment and ready to find itself at a local Indy if I think it's something I don't want to get involved in directly myself... :wink:

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No matter the cambelt is intact : chuck in the timing lock dowels to check.

And this GOT to be behind/under the starter motor for locking the crank - because of the dreaded pulley rubber problem.

You may already find something weird trying to lock the 2 cams ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A longshot - but I've had it a few times - the bores can dry out and compression fail - somethimes the oil film is washed away by petrol while starting - or the last time it happened was on a Daimler V8 250 - which lost some cooling water. After a tow home from the AA who didn't have an oil can it fired up on its own after I'd removed a couple of plugs and put a few drops of oil down the holes.

Only a couple of drops should be needed - too much may cause a hydraulic lock. - and it won't do your catalyst much good.
jeremy
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

just a thing. we have had this twice now with our blue Xantia. (1.8 16v Manual) (do a compression test first)

Whip off the cam covers & spin the engine. if the cams are turning fine replace the covers.
Jack the rear of the car in the air so its higher than the front.
Put a charger or booster box on the battery & crank the engine. let it crank & crank. It should eventually start.
Whip the plugs out, clean & refit. if it doesn't & do the same again.

I find that our Xantia does it when you initally start it & its running on like 2 out of the 4 cylinders & if you don't catch it with some throttle it'll stall & give the symptoms you describe.
We have not found why as 99% of the time its start first time every time.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It could be that the belt has just 'slipped' causing the same damage as if it had broken.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

rossnunn wrote:
Whip off the cam covers & spin the engine. if the cams are turning fine replace the covers.
I like this idea... I like to see the camshaft lobe positions relative to piston position, if the cambelt has jumped or even if a cambelt sprocket key has snapped, it will be immediately obvious.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
howzat
My Cars:

Dead Mk2 Xantia

Post by howzat »

Check that the engine can actually get air. If there is obstruction in the air intake system or throttle body all you get in the cylinders is vacuum. Check throttle valve idle control which is controlled by a stepper motor. I dont know if it is possible for the throttle to close completely so this is guesswork but worth checking.

Howzat
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

My mates 205 has the same symptoms after overheating.

His pet mechanic has seen it before and suggests that the heat of cooking the pistons deforms the rings. New rings are needed after this has occurred.
This is on a diesel.

Hope this helps.
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)