Xsara HDI warning lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dty
My Cars:

Xsara HDI warning lights

Post by dty »

:( Can anyone help me. I have a Xsara HDI and noted the stop warning light and oil light and beeper are coming on when I start the car and flashes intermittently. After a few miles of driving they stop. I also note that the temperature gauge rises very quickly and then back down and the fan comes on. Is this a thermostat problem? There is no leakage from any pipes as not loosing coolant and not needing to top up the radiater expansion tank. Any ideas :(
deian

Post by deian »

Have you checked your oil level? I guess you need more oil, if you don't have enough oil the engine will work metal to metal more and this of course is more friction, therefore more heat.

Both lights are probably coming on because of this, the oil light because of low level, and the engine light because of low oil pressure maybe.

It may be a good idea to change the oil AND coolant too (since the weather is warm these days). The only two fluids running in your engine, and need to be kept in good condition and topped up.

It wouldn't hurt either to check the oil and coolant sensors while down there, I guess a new thermostat wouldn't go amiss either, it does seem to open a bit late if the gauge comes up before coming down (does it come down before the fans kick in), but as for the gauge coming up so quick it is probably related to the oil problem.
dty
My Cars:

Xsara HDI warning lights

Post by dty »

Thanks very much for your prompt reply and I did check the oil and seems to be fine but will check it tomorrow when the engine is cold and oil settled. However it is due a chenge of oil soon so will attend to that shortly as well as look into the coolant change as well.
Noticed earlier on that the fan stayed on after I switched the engine off and that the temp gauge fluctuated up then down. I drove it for about 10 miles and initially the problem arose but after a couple of miles seemed to settle and no fan, gauge at low, no warning lights or beeps. Do you think it is an electrical fault perhaps associated with the sensors, the thermostat you suggested previously?
deian

Post by deian »

Doesn't sound like an electrical fault really, just a combination of 'things'.

I'd do the following: oil and filter change, coolant and thermostat then if things continue check some oil/coolant sensors
dty
My Cars:

Xsara warning lights

Post by dty »

Many thanks for the advice and shall investigate these areas when i get the chance so thanks very very much!!