Citroen bx tzd water leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

talbotsteve
My Cars: Had, an AX, countless BX's, ZX's, Xsara's, Xantia's, Xsara Picasso's, and now only have a C4 Picasso Lounge, which drinks tooooooo much.

Citroen bx tzd water leak

Post by talbotsteve »

Just had a new head gasket fitted now a week later it has started to leak water from down the back of the engine, with out crawling under her just at the moment any ideas??
cheers steve
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Did you have the head machined before replacing it? There are not many places it can leak from at the back of the engine apart from the head / block joint. The only other possibility I can think of is the heater hoses.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Could be the fuel heater block leaking. Look for a weirdo lump at rear of engine with both fuel and coolant hose connections.
You can bypass this device no problem.

Believe most diesel BX'es now has this unit bypassed for exactly this reason.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
talbotsteve
My Cars: Had, an AX, countless BX's, ZX's, Xsara's, Xantia's, Xsara Picasso's, and now only have a C4 Picasso Lounge, which drinks tooooooo much.

Post by talbotsteve »

yep head was machined, but car also has a high pitch whine at higher boost/ revs, will check for what you recommend,
cheers steve
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

I'm sure there is the "cool" radiator return to the engine block just under the block/head join at the rear of the engine(timing belt end). this housing has been known to leak... ( I'm working from memory here, so I am happy to be corrected) best wishes, martin
I won't do that again
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The fuel heater is fitted to diesels with the separate fuel filter by the LHM tank. These cars also have the large thermostat in the strange looking housing.

Later cars have a plastic fuel filter over the thermostat (which is a normal size with a plastic housing). This is in fact integrated with the fuel heater.

There are a number of water pipes running round the back of the engine for the heater and other functions. It may be that one of these is loose.

The turbo whine could be due to the seal between the manifold and the intercooler. On mine this is a rubber band rather like a large diameter 'O' ring - and it could be that this is damaged or has simply gone flat or the intercooler not tightened down fully or unevenly.
jeremy