Newbie Xantia questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I am experiencing the dreadful brake pedal feel in my recently acquired Xantia, its not a fault its a damned spring between the brake pedal and the doseur valve, search this forum for ideas on how to remove it.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The best place for a price comparison firstly is gsfcarparts.com

and if your local Citroen dealer has the same part in at the same price you may as well get it from there...however GSF do a good Postage service and are quite happy to accept returns if you no longer needed them.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
GB
My Cars:

STOP light

Post by GB »

Another question:
- how long should it take for both brake and STOP warning lights to switch off following engine start up? How many seconds?

Regards,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Used to be 13 seconds for most of the years that I had the car.
After replacing both rear spheres in December, it’s become 18 seconds.
Some cars take less time, others more.
Hope that more findings get posted about that, because I don’t know how long can be taken to be ‘normal’. :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Mines (oh dear I mean the BIL's) is within the second.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It does vary a bit from car to car.... and it will be affected by whether the car has the one or two output pump - early models with the one output pump have about THREE times the pumping capacity supplying the main suspension/brake system than later 2 output pumps on anti-sink models.

Also diesels and petrols idle at different speeds.

That said, on an anti-sink Xantia with all spheres and system running well after a 12 hour overnight break you can expect it to take 8 to 14 seconds for the light to go off.

My own testing shows that if you bleed the regulator and let it pressurize again it takes about 8 seconds for the light to go off even when the car doesn't have to do any lifting, so if it takes only 1 or 2 seconds its highly likely theres a fault - either the accumulator sphere is dead flat, (therefore taking no time to pressurize) or the warning light is telling fibs. :? (If you calculate the pumping capacity of the pump there is just no way it can fully pressurize the accumulator in 1 second)

With an early non-antisink model the amount of gas in the suspension spheres affects the lifting time (and light out time) quite a bit - because overnight they loose enough pressure that ALL the oil is expelled from the spheres and with low gas pressure you have to pump more oil into each sphere to bring them back to operating pressure, so the pump needs to pump more CC's of oil into the system.

This doesn't really apply on antisink models because even if the suspension spheres are low on gas the anti-sink system keeps the suspension at the same pressure - the height might drop an inch or so over night but the pressure hasn't changed, unless it drops to the bump stops....

The same amount of oil must be pumped back in to correct the small height deficiency regardless of how well gassed the suspension spheres are, so it takes about the same amount of time. (It will take a lot more time to lift from fully depressurized though)

The spheres that WILL affect pressurizing time on an anti-sink model are the accumulator sphere and possibly some effect from the anti-sink sphere....

Other things that will affect it are leakage in the system somewhere (for example leaky Hydractive 2 electrovalves can slow down the pressurization a lot) or problems with the pump such as an air leak on the input causing it to lose its prime...(or just a sick pump in general)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive