1.9 TD Xantia running rough after pressure wash

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RoadkillUK
My Cars:

1.9 TD Xantia running rough after pressure wash

Post by RoadkillUK »

I know, I know but it was filthy.

OK, as stated I have pressure washed my engine the other day along with oil and filter change, air filter change and pollen filter change (and one of those anti-bac sprays).

When I started my engine the rev counter was up in the 2500 range flickering a bit, it should be sat steady at 1000 rpm. I thought I'd drive it around for a few days to see if it will fix itself (they sometimes do!).

The thing is that it's not just the rev counter that dodgy, the car is also running a little rough. Is there any kind of ECU on the diesel engine? I know that petrol models have ECU's to fire the spark, what about the diesel? I ask in case the rev counter is sending the wrong info.

Of course any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. Lee
Roadkill
http://www.bradford7.co.uk

Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000X)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's >1997 then yes it has an ECU and some engine sensors -there's a couple of multi plugs on the injection pump, the TDC sensor, and an injector lift sensor on one of the injectors (No 3 I think). There's also a coolant temp sensor that decides whether to run at fast idle or not.
Richard W
RoadkillUK
My Cars:

Post by RoadkillUK »

It is a >97 model thanks. I've just been out to take a look around and with the ignition switched on but engine not running, there is a rapid ticking from the injection pump. Can't say I've noticed that before, is it normal?
Roadkill

Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000X)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dont pressure wash an engine 8)
- unless its taken apart for a major repair.

- yeah I know - too late to tell you now :roll:

But engines should be spray washed in the engine bay. And then only if you have had a major leakage or spillage disaster. The cleaning will leave all parts dry and exposed to the winter driving's road salt mist.

If you want to clean an engine - then do it partly where you can see the muck - using rags. A good serviced engine bay will always look a bit messy by the oil applied here & there to lubricate any moving bit. Also its a cheap and easy measure against seized bolts and nuts when it becomes necessary with larger service/repair issues.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you got a bosch injection pump - either mechanical or semi-electronic? - if so you may have dislodged a leakoff pipe which allows air to gte into the pump. Roto-diesels (CAV, Lucas) just leak and smell and while air will have a drastic effect on their performance the leakoff pipes dont.
jeremy
RoadkillUK
My Cars:

SORTED

Post by RoadkillUK »

Turns out there is an ECU, it's located in a black plastic box front left of the engine (as you look from the front).

Inside is the ECU, I disconnected the multiconnector plug and suprise there was a little water on the connectors. I removed the ECU and took it inside for a blast with air. Long story short, clicking from the pump has stopped and the rev counter is reading correctly.

Thanks all for your help.

BTW, what is a deisel doing with an ECU? ;)
Roadkill

Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000X)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: SORTED

Post by AndersDK »

RoadkillUK wrote:BTW, what is a deisel doing with an ECU? ;)
Taking care of the fuel volume and injection timing. Because of the ever increasing legal demands on lower emissions.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image