c5 particle filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Re: c5 fap

Post by wheeler »

rod wrote::D
hi all just had a look under the car and found the eolys tank.
has two tubes at the back.
could perhaps fill through these.

rodders 8)
it gets filled with a tube going into the top of the tank, the Eolys fluid comes with a kit for filling it containing everything you need.Are you sure its DPX 42 you need (up to RP no 9492) as i think this comes in 5 litre containers,its the Eolys 176 that comes in 3 litre kits & the two fluids cant be mixed.
The filters arent cleaned at the dealers,exchange filters are fitted.the chances are you will need the FAP ECU reset as it works out how much fluid has been used theoretically.
the thing about making the car rev for ages at fast idle is a forced regeneration of the filter,this only needs to get done in extreme cases,give the car a good thrashing regularly & you wont need this done.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Officer - "Pull over. Who do you think you are.... Niki Lauda ?"

C5 Owner - "Sorry officer. I was just giving my Fap a good clear out !"
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
rod
My Cars:

c5 particle filter

Post by rod »

:D

hi guys, thanks for all your comments.
i read on one forum that the dealer can run a forced regeneration, that is run the engine at high revs to produce enough heat to burn off the soot.
as i tow a lot i am told that the filter regenates every 300 to 350 miles, so it would seem that the filter might not need cleaning until the sensors pick up a blockage.
as to taking filter out, would the sensor not pick up the difference in pressure?
i am sure it would run much better without a filter.
how about fitting a straight thru exhaust?
my 2.2 goes like stink since i fitted a k&n air filter, and gives 26.5 towing and up to 46 touring. ave 38.5.
i like the exclusive as it has a sport setting for the suspension, makes it firm for towing.
i have looked at the new models of c5 and they are all fitted with a particle filter, cause of euro 2008 emissions regs, so if you stay with pug/cits they will all need sevicing.
more money for dealers eh!!!

rodders 8)
rodders
c5,2.2 hdi exclusive
pug 106 xld
rod
My Cars:

c5 particle filter

Post by rod »

:D
hi all
thanks for the replies.
does anyone have a diagram of how to fill eolys tank.
thanks wheeler. how do you get into the tank.
is it through the top of the fuel tank?

rodders 8)
Last edited by rod on 27 Jul 2006, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
rodders
c5,2.2 hdi exclusive
pug 106 xld
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: c5 particle filter

Post by wheeler »

rod wrote::D

hi guys, thanks for all your comments.
i read on one forum that the dealer can run a forced regeneration, that is run the engine at high revs to produce enough heat to burn off the soot.
as i tow a lot i am told that the filter regenates every 300 to 350 miles, so it would seem that the filter might not need cleaning until the sensors pick up a blockage.
as to taking filter out, would the sensor not pick up the difference in pressure?
The rorced & natural re-gen burns off soot in the filter but the problem is the Eolys fluid doesent burn & remains trapped in the filter,hence the reason the filter needs changed.
Yes the pressure sensor would pick up a missing filter & bring up a warning message on the dash.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

(Sorry to butt in but I have been considering how to run sans filter too) Would a minimum pressure differential alarm be produced too? There has to be some way of modifying , surely?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

(Sorry to butt in but I have been considering how to run sans filter too) Would a minimum pressure differential alarm be produced too? There has to be some way of modifying , surely?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

(Sorry to butt in but I have been considering how to run sans filter too) Would a minimum pressure differential alarm really be produced too? There has to be some way of modifying , surely?
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

(sorry, don't quite know how that happened)javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Embarassed
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Monkeyfeet wrote:(Sorry to butt in but I have been considering how to run sans filter too) Would a minimum pressure differential alarm really be produced too? There has to be some way of modifying , surely?
It would be the enging management light /anti pollution warning that would come on.
In theory i cant see why it wouldnt be possible to hollow out or remove the filter & fit a bypass pipe bypass pipe then get the FAP system un programmed with a Lexia or Proxia machine.
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

Maybe an answer to some of your questions??

http://www.ecuflash.co.uk/DPFRemoval.aspx
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

wheeler wrote:
Monkeyfeet wrote:(Sorry to butt in but I have been considering how to run sans filter too) Would a minimum pressure differential alarm really be produced too? There has to be some way of modifying , surely?
It would be the enging management light /anti pollution warning that would come on.
In theory i cant see why it wouldnt be possible to hollow out or remove the filter & fit a bypass pipe bypass pipe then get the FAP system un programmed with a Lexia or Proxia machine.
This subject has been discussed so many times both on this forum and others it's becoming boring :-).

From my recollection in summary of a variety of sources Wheelers solution will work. You can tell the engine ECU using a Lexia that a FAP system isn't fitted then having removed the FAP filter the EOLYS injection system is disabled by disconnecting pump and ECU connections.

The engine ECU no longer looks at the diff pressure sensor because it doesn't need to run a regeneration cycle.
However you will need to clean the soot of the back of your car on a more regular basis.

Alternatively you can remove the filter stuff some wire mesh in the cavity to give a nominal pressure diff and keep topping up the EOLYS tank with diesel.

As regards cleaning the FAP my understanding is that yes. it can be cleaned to a limited extent using a high pressure cleaner, however the water that comes out is toxic and should not be disposed off in normal drains, alias, should be disposed of in an environmentaly acceptable manner. This will not clean the filter 100% though, it will remove all loose ash, however cerine stuck in the filter is a different matter this requires a chemical bath which is what I believe happens with filters returned through PSA others? well who knows.

Finally bitch as we may about FAPs and the cost of maintenance they do make diesel exhaust much more pleasant, they are a legal requirement in many countries and fitted as standard on pretty well all new diesel models they are here to stay get used to it.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

mooseshaver wrote:
KevMayer wrote: To tell you the truth, I have wondered for a while now whether my C5 would run better if the filter was removed altogether !
I too have wondered this, the 2.2 is often said to be the worse engine between it and the 2.0 110. Maybe its like catalitic convertors, they always used to sap a cars power.
I think that the 2.2 gets a bad press largely because there seem to be lots of reports of unresolved Anti Pollution warnings and fuel consumption. IMHO the former happens because many who maintain these cars don't understand them and don't have the equipment to do the job properly, I am also of the opinion that the modulated turbo and it's default no vacuum state exacerbates this. As regards fuel consumption well it does have an extra 28 Bhp over the early 2.0 Ltr and it is lively 40 -45 is achievable on a long motorway run however high twenties low thirties is more common around town. In my view if all your mileage is long distance Mway then it's a good car, however if the majority of your distance is 15 -25 mile sectors with lots of urban work then it isn't so good.

Having said all that you have had a 2.2 and now a 1.6 how do you find the 1.6 after the 2.2 I ask because I am thinking of going the same route the price of diesel will only go one way from now and that at an ever accelerating rate.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

My 2.2 (Twin Turbo 173) does average 46, motorways 50ish and low 40's round town.

I believe the 2.0 does the same. When I drove the 1.6 I found it underpowered and I guess the economy gain will be minimal because the engine will have to be driven harder.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Am I simple or is this all a load of tosh regarding emissions?

As I see it, if this container becomes absolutely full of soot particulates then it only represents a litre or two in volume (or whatever the volume of the tank is).

Eco-wise we've gone too far and I think, with my cynics hat on, that much of the complexities on modern cars are there for profit through servicing.

I worked in the Energy field (mostly conservation) from 1966 to 2003 (now retired).