citrobeotics technique

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

citrobeotics technique

Post by deian »

I know this is quite obvious to most, but there are still some who need to know EXACTLY the best way to do this (inclusding me).... so..

what is the best way to get maximum result doing citrobeotics?

do you have to go from top to bottom or through each position in sequence? do you have to wait a certain amount of time at each one?
how many times do you need to do it to clear the system of any air?
any tips?

thanks people
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Citroen aerobics = citaerobics.

Its very simple : select neutral, apply handbrakes & have engine idle.
Now set the height selector to lowest setting. Wait for the height to fully flat out. You will feell like the car shivers when it settles on the rubber stops.

Now set the height selector to the highest position. Wait until the last groaning from the compressed strut rubbers disappears - and the ticking regulator has calmed down again to normal tick rate.

Do it 2-5 times as you wish.
NEVER DO IT WHILE DRIVING THE CAR :shock:

If you have the red STOP light on during the highest setting - then the reservoir should be topped up.
If the red STOP light remains on - you may have sprung a leak.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

well i can't hear ANY ticking since replacing the acc.sphere, none at all ever, is this good or bad?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Donno :wink:
It can be quite hard hearing anything else but the diesel clatter.
But try with bonnet open. The charge ticking is a very characteristic sound.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Also with the bonnet open, move the suspension from normal to high and look for the 'ticking' noise from the acc sphere near the radiator. It should tick a few time as it reaches high
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I actually find it easier to hear the regulator ticking with the bonnet CLOSED, as it cuts out 90% of the noise from the engine...(tappits, diesel clatter etc)

Just crouch down near the front bumper of the car with the bonnet closed and you should be able to hear it.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

AndersDK wrote:Now set the height selector to the highest position. Wait until the last groaning from the compressed strut rubbers disappears - and the ticking regulator has calmed down again to normal tick rate.
I don't understand the bit about the regulator calming down. On the downward cylcle, there is no high pressure being used, and the regulator just ticks as normal (about once a minute on my car), and on the upward cycle, all of the pump output is going into the suspension spheres and the regulator does not tick at all. A few seconds after reaching the top, the regulator clicks once. Nothing manic at all. :P
AndersDK wrote:Citroen aerobics = citaerobics.
NEVER DO IT WHILE DRIVING THE CAR :shock: .
One reason for this is that it is actually counter-producrive. If the car moves while there is no pressure in the struts, any undulation in the road will cause a vacuum in a strut, which seems to suck air past the seal. Then you have lumpy suspension until you go through the sequence again.
regards,
Mike
deian

Post by deian »

i know what the regulator clicking sounds like :lol:, i've been through two acc.sphere's so the ticking at the end of their lives are obvious, i will just make more of an effort to listen to it more, unless my pump is so healthy that it never needs to tick, but then again i guess it would have to on it way up from bottom.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Xantias with 2 port pumps and healthy accumulators don't tend to click, they just hiss a bit - and as it can be >90s between recharges, you get bored of waiting for it to happen!
Richard W
deian

Post by deian »

yes, i got bored all right, i sat there waiting for it today, i gave up in the end.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:yes, i got bored all right, i sat there waiting for it today, i gave up in the end.
It should be mentioned that when an accumulator sphere is good the clicking can be a lot quieter than when its nearly worn out...the reason is the cushioning effect of the gas.

Also some pressure regulators click more quietly than others - whether its differences in wear or just factory tolerances I don't know, but there can be a big difference from one car to another for no apparent reason.

So you may have difficulty hearing it. On a car with a good accumulator sphere and NO pressure leaks anywhere, (difficult on a Hydractive 2 model... :? ) the regulator cycle time can potentially exceed 5 minutes, so unless you're really patient you probably wont wait that long either :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

AndersDK wrote:Citroen aerobics = citaerobics.

Its very simple : select neutral, apply handbrakes & have engine idle.
Now set the height selector to lowest setting. Wait for the height to fully flat out. You will feell like the car shivers when it settles on the rubber stops.
Does this need to be done in C5s? And whats it for?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The purpose of Citroebics is to expel gas from the system. Gas is inevietable due to osmosis through the sphere membranes and also possibly due to air being dissolved in the LHM.

Cars without anti-sink will tend to do it for themselves as the car sinks and rises. Cars with anti-sink don't.

Your C5 has spheres (or ovals or something) and so some osmosis will take place.

An additional advantage is that the rear trailing arms are rotated beyond their normal travel and this may spread a little grease round the bearings.
jeremy
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Thanks jeremy
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.