Does this make any sense

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robbie

Does this make any sense

Post by Robbie »

I’ve just had a new radiator fitted to my Xantia 1.9td and the next morning after returning from a short journey I left my car ticking over in my drive, after a couple of minutes a hose came off the bottom of the radiator, luckily I noticed quickly and turned it off straight away. I called the garage that fitted the rad and they came and took it away and fitted the hose back on but then while testing it the hose blew off again. They have admitted they are having problems and can’t understand the reason for it. I have thought back to when the original rad started leaking and it was straight after I changed the oil, I thought this was just a coincidence but now I’m just wondering if it has something to do with it. I used the correct oil for a turbo diesel engine I made sure of that but could it still be connected and caused the original radiator to burst and now keeps blowing the hoses off, I don’t want to mention it to the garage just yet in case they just say yes that’s it, it’s all your fault and gives them a reason to blame me. What do you think?
Robbie.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it's not a leaky head gasket blowing into the cooling system, you would almost have to suspect that the thermal fans aren't cutting in when they should thereby causing overheating and associated higher pressures. Presumabley the radiator cap is the correct one?
Just a thought.
Alan S
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Assuming that its not anything nasty like the head gasket, it could be a fairly simple problem.
Following an accident, I had a new rad fitted to my Xantia TD by a garage. When I got the car back it was fine for a few days, but when I left mine ticking over while I opened the garage doors it blew the bottom hose off the rad, emptying the coolant all over the drive.
I examined the hose, and found thats its a push fit, but held in place by a retaining clip. If you don't push the hose in far enough before fitting the clip the hose isn't properly held in place, so eventually just falls out of the hole!
The hose does have to be pushed in quite hard, which the bl**dy useless garage hadn't done !
I greased the end of the hose so it went in more easily, pushed it all the way in, then fitted the clip.
Two years and 40000 miles later and its never done it again.
Nick
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It isn't likely that the oil change had anything to do with the hose blowing off the new rad. More likely that the rad hasn't got conventional worm-drive clips but bayonet-type connectors. As Nick says, the mechanics haven't put them together correctly. Maybe used the old sealing ring too. When it's all finished, make sure the antifreeze is up to scratch.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

It does seem to be just a matter of the lower hose blowing off because of the type of fitting not being connected firmly enough, it's been back to the garage and they said they've pushed it on as hard as they can and then tried to pull it off and haven't been able too. Hopefully it will be ok now I've got a lot of driving to do over the next week!
Thanks for your help, Robbie