RE; Nosediving Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetd
My Cars:

RE; Nosediving Xantia

Post by davetd »

I changed the accumulator sphere and LHM last week on my Xantia. (Non anti-sink)

For the first 2 days the regulator cycled at once a minute and the susp stayed up for hours but then it went back to cycling once every 10 seconds and the susp sinking after an hour as it had done before. I'm not really worried about it as it drives fine and is reliable, I'm just curious. Why would it change it's behaviour for a couple of days then relapse???????

cheers

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
deian

Post by deian »

I assume you've bled the system of air by doing citrobeotics?

Where did you get the acc.sphere? I once bought a reconditioned one and it didn't last long, so always buy new too.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There is an extremely complicated test for the function of the accumulator sphere.

Run the engine for a couple of minutes with the car at normal height. Turn off the engine and sit in the boot. The car should sink a long way, then after about 30 seconds rise to its original height powered by the accumulator. No rise - no accumulator. If its really healthy it may do it twice.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Did you clean the filters in the LHM tank?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the other test for the A/C sphere is after running the engine with suspention set at normal hight,turn engine off then move the hight lever to the highest setting and the car should rise,the more gas in the sphere the more it will rise
regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

is that why they collapse after you switch the engine off? I noticed lately that our blue one has started to do this, don't go right down to the floor but if you turn the engine off & get out by the time you've walked a couple of paces away the nose sinks.
I tried the sit in the boot test & ours didn't do anything, the only time I could get it to rise back up was with the engine running
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

rossnunn wrote:is that why they collapse after you switch the engine off? I noticed lately that our blue one has started to do this, don't go right down to the floor but if you turn the engine off & get out by the time you've walked a couple of paces away the nose sinks.
I tried the sit in the boot test & ours didn't do anything, the only time I could get it to rise back up was with the engine running
Maybe you need to replace the accumulator sphere then !!

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Sorry,

It was a brand new sphere (not recon).

Yes I did the citerobics.

Yes it passes the boot test.

My question is how come after behaving for a couple of days (cycling once a minute, staying up for hours) has it now gone back to doing what it was doing before .

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
slim123

Post by slim123 »

[quote="rossnunn"]is that why they collapse after you switch the engine off? I noticed lately that our blue one has started to do this, don't go right down to the floor but if you turn the engine off & get out by the time you've walked a couple of paces away the nose sinks.

Then it's working fine!!!!

When you get out, even if you are a lightweight, the car is relieved of some weight, the car will rise because of this. Then the height corrector spool valve will be pulled out alowing the car to sink to its normall position.

The part you notice (as with most) is the car sinking to it's normal height, this is what a Citroen does!!

Regards
Slim
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ok but what about if I'm still sat in the car & it does it?
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

slim123 wrote:
Then it's working fine!!!!

this is what a Citroen does!!
Yes, but rossnunn had said the 'sit in the boot test' does not work with his car.
Surely this is one of the symptoms of a low accumulator sphere.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

also the car rises fine when left over night - infact much faster than mothers later V plated estate. That takes a age to sort itself out even to the point that the brakes have no real effect at the first touch then they are fine after that. We're having all the sphere's done on that & renew the LHM