C5 Handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

C5 Handbrake

Post by mooseshaver »

Not a problem, but just interested, is the C5 Handbrake really on the front wheels?
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I can't give you a definite answer, but seeing as the BX and Xantia h/b is (and others I expect) I wouldn't be at all surprised.

IMHO the handbrake on the front is much nicer :) The car doesn't do all sorts of funny things when you apply the handbrake
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Thanks LeeDJC. Perhaps explains why handbrake turns jsut don't work :D
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Nope, they def won't work.....unless you try it in reverse ;)
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Like all HP Citroëns it is on the front wheels. Not very hard to check it out, really....pull it while driving and watch the front sink!
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

Out of interest how come it is on the front wheels?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The reason hydraulic citroens have the handbrake on the front is beacuse they have trailing arm rear suspension.

If you stop a ZX or other car with a rear handbrake and trailing arms on a hill with the front facing up the hill it will run back slightly and tuck the trailing arms underneath itself a bit. No real problem - and the passengers don't really mind when the back goes down as you drive off.

Do the same on a hydraulic Citroen and different things happen. The height is controlled from the rear anti-roll bar so: Imaginary back handbrake on, car rolls back and suspension rises. Anti-roll bar rotates - operating height corrector - which opens to lower car. As the back wheels are locked the car doesn't respond - but the cylinders discharge due to the spheres. So rear of car is raised, no back suspension pressure - release handbrake annd back comes crashing down.

Not as much fun with a front brake but more comfortable!

You can demonstrate the reverse. Drop car, and then raise it with the brakes firmly applied. Nothing happens for a bit then if you release the brake the rear will jump up. The wheelbase alters slightly as the rear rises (wheel rolls forward) and so by locking it with the brake you are preventing this. release brake - and it goes to its preferred position.

Not very good for the suspension (heavier than normal loadigs) - but can cause some amusement in traffic queues. Better in a BX as it has a bigger pump and so rises quicker.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's on the front because of the self levelling and rear suspension configuration - since they use trailing arms, the wheel needs to rotate to allow the suspension height to correct. If you clamp the rear wheel with the handbrake, the suspension will over correct, and that would lead to it dropping to floor, or shooting up to max height when you let the handbrake off. Bit like my Hydractive car then.
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

406 V6 wrote:Like all HP Citroëns it is on the front wheels. Not very hard to check it out, really....pull it while driving and watch the front sink!
Not quite,the C6 handbrake acts on the rear wheels. :wink:
Although slightly different as it is electrically operated.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Well...then again, the C6 "isn't" exactly a HP Citroën, as it lacks the trailing arms :D
IMHO, front handbrakes are superior and safer to use in an emergency as the car won't oversteer and the braking forces can be bigger.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
ChevronMicky
My Cars:

Post by ChevronMicky »

My C5's handbrake does indeed operate the front wheels.

But it's not all about having hydropneumatics -- my old Dyane (and the 2CV) also operated the front wheels too. As a result, I understand it was one of the most efficient handbrakes ever devised!
2003 C5 2.2 HDi SX
1995 ZX TD Aura Estate
1989 BX 19TRS
1974 Dyane
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Come to think of it my Renault 4 had rthe handbrake on the front wheels too. This also had trailing arms and I suppose on a steep hill may have tried to tuck them underneath itself which would have been ineteresting.
jeremy