Xsara HDi engine stability problem at idle RPMs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alazar

Xsara HDi engine stability problem at idle RPMs

Post by alazar »

Hello

I am desperate, my 2003 Automatic Xsara HDi drives perfect on high RPM but when it goes down to idle lets say on a red light or a stop sign (gear on DRIVE + brake + air conditioner) the engine starts to choke up some times it shuts down.
My mechanic cut off one of the vacuum controllers (out of the three in the back of the engine compartment)

I would really appreciate any help
Last edited by alazar on 24 Jul 2006, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sounds like an EGR - related problem (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). The EGR valve seems to often cause problems on that engine.

It sounds like it's mucking up your fuel/air ratio at idle. The best bet would be to disconnect it completely.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
alazar

Post by alazar »

I think I disconnected it, I disconnected the middle vacuum solenoid, (the one that has a pipe going into the unit on the air intake hose which I think is the EGR). After the disconnecting the problem reduces but it does not cease. The RPM still drops at idle sometimes but not always. What can it be???
Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The unit you have disconnected is the EGR throttle butterfly not the actual EGR valve,follow the piping to the EGR valve,its bolted onto the inlet manifold near the timing belt side,remove & block off the pipe to it & try that.