Height corrector plastic clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

njr
My Cars:

Height corrector plastic clip

Post by njr »

Ive had a little rear suspension problem with my Activa :wink: and after searching the forum decided to get it up on ramps to check the height corrector was connected properly. Anyway the long cable was loose and I remembered about the plastic clip possibly coming off causing problems. Not knowing what one looked like I had a look under my other two Xantias and all three had the same bits, just the Activa was loose so I connected it back together and WD40,d everything. Everthing worked ok so next day I greased it and it has been fine since. Does anybody have a picture of this clip as I cant recall seeing one on any of the cars.

Also where can I buy a sphere removal tool now that GSF dont sell them

Neil
03 Renault Master Dci 70k miles
02 406 HDi 110 65k miles
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Re: sphere tool.

I think Pleiades still sell them or you can use a DIY approach.
I used to use a couple of chunky Jubilee clips joined together to make one big enough to fit a sphere. Tighten it up as far as it would go and then, with an old screwdriver and a hammer, give it a good thwack.
Always worked on my BX's.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

I use one of those plumber chain wrenches - long enough to go round the sphere and loads of leverage.

Brian
97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TD (RIP)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The official BX workshop manual for the BX (88 edition I think) shows a largeish chain wrench with what looks like a double row chain for the removal of spheres. I use a tool of my own welded from the remains of a chain oil filter wrench (nice bit of large hex bar with a 1/2 inch socket hole) with a band of steel welded to opposiong sides of the hex - so that it wraps when used for undoing - and so is self tightening. - Works every time!
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Basically this type of tool will do :
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBOA.html
From the image its quite easy to imagine how to do a beefier construction. I dont like chain tools - as the steel chain have very low friction against the sphere steel surface. Steel chains thus relies on very brute clamp forces. If this tool slips - you will more often than not injury yourself quite severe :cry:

The tool shown has a nylon re-inforced rubber strap - like an alternator or timing belt. So its not a rubber band working with. You can use a lenght of old safety belt as this can withstand several Tons of force. Such a tool does not slip as easy as the steel chain counterparts.

The clip is show on this schematic as item 6 :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 366150.gif
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i own a 30cm chain pipe wrench made by stanley tools,i have had this tool for about 20 years and also i have the type pleiades sell which is a half inch bar with a band of spring steel with a pinch bolt to tighten it onto the sphere then you just clonck the length of bar ,my chain wrench has never sliped and i normaly use it with a 2 foot length of tube on the end of it,the plastic link is not a clip it is a plastic link rod about 2inches long withe a cup at both ends
regards malcolm
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

I bought a chain wrench with the 3/4 drive socket on it last week for five pounds to do my accumulator sphere and it worked a treat 8)

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink