clutch change on 2.1 xant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

clutch change on 2.1 xant

Post by deian »

i think about all sorts of weird things, so today i was thinking... say my clutch goes (touch wood it doesn't), can anyone tell me about the clutch change job? Is it hard, does the engine have to come off, will i need to send it to a mechanic?

thanks
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The clutch in my '93 XM TD12 (with the 2.1 engine) was still the original when I crashed it at about 535 000 km. So I'm afraid I can't help you . . .

. . . but according to hearsay you can change the clutch without removing anything by unbolting the gearbox and moving it into the opening on the inside of the left front wheel (after removing the driveshafts).

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
deian

Post by deian »

the fact that your clutch lasted so long is a good factor! i'm on 190k now and it seems ok, a bit high, but i hear the hydraulic clutches are all quite high in bitting point due to the self adjusting on them, i hope this is correct!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The one on our xantia 2.1td was replaced at about 130-140k but it did tow a caravan a lot and had eaten a turbo by 155k as well so maybe that was the sign... not a major job, 5hours labour according the invoice iirc :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Clutches don't usually 'go' not suddenly anyway. My previous XM clutch started slipping when you pushed it hard, at about 2,500 rpm, but backing off a little and allowing it to grip will considerably lessen the wear. Mine was still driving OK about 10k miles later when I sold it. And Yes, I did tell them!
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

I've also had a high biting point on my clutch for around 20,000mls with no appreciable change. It is due to wear, of course, but how much is anybody's guess. Not sure if moving the g/box to one side gives you enough clearance but Mr Clutch quoted me around £350 including parts (their own, not Valeo) for the job when I enquired two years ago.

BTW, does the XM TD12 g/box fit the Xantia TD12?
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

it's a funny one, a worn clutch. Most of us will put up with a bad clutch (heavy, slipping, biting v low or high, juddering etc) because of a high percevied cost of replacement. However, when it's done you think Why didn't I do that earlier - the car is much nicer / easier to drive afterwards. I replaced the clutch in my wife's ZX a couple of months ago - it was not slipping or juddering, but the bite was very high, and it was fearsomely heavy. By planning in advance though I was able to change it on a weekend that suited me. The result is a much nicer car to drive with a feather light clutch (much better for SWMBO's bad back!), and it cost <£150 for parts. Time and money well spent to me!

The 2.1 uses the ML5 box and hydraulic pull clutch. It's not a 'difficult' job, but you do need a good tool set, and preferably some lifting gear. The trouble with the Xantia is all the crap that's above the gearbox that you need to remove in order to be able to drop the gearbox, which makes it into a long and tedious job. You also need to make a tool to engage the release bearing once the box is back on. 5 Hours would be a very, very good time for that. The ZX took 2 of us about 9 hours, but that included well over an hour fighting with changing the clutch cable.

So, if you've got the skills and the time, and you are keeping the car for a while, I'd stick a new clutch in once it becomes difficult to use.
Richard W
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

As I've got the engine and gearbox out of my 2.1 Xantia I've decided to do the clutch which I believe is the original at 190k miles. (FSH with the car to 110k when I bought it and no mention of replacement clutch) Looking at the one I have removed its go a fair bit of life left in it and the car has been used for a moderate amount of towing; a caravan by the previous owner and a car transporter by me.

When I was taking the engine out the gearbox mounting to the car was rather awkward to remove (ABS block seemed to be in the way) and I suspect some of the gearbox to engine fixing bolts could be difficult especially if you were not sure where they all were.

Had both a BX TD and Xantia 1.9TD clutch done by Mr Clutch for around £250 two - three years ago. Relatively cheap but to some extent you get what you pay for in terms of both quality of the work and the quality of the components fitted. Having said that the BX did 50k more miles with me and some more with the next owner. The Xant has done 30k+ since and has suffered some clutch shudder ever since it was done but I'm sure will out last our ownership of the car althoufgh I couldn't see it lasting 190k miles.

Rory