rear electric windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mallyg
My Cars:

rear electric windows

Post by mallyg »

Please could someone tell me if it is possible to convert my rear electric windows on my 1995 xantia 1.8i from manual to electric. What would i need etc,thanks in advance
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Materials needed :

1) relay for powering the rear windows (should be an empty place in the fuse box)
2) a fuse for this circuit (should be an empty place in the fuse box)
3) the wiring harness from fusebox - down the center console to control switches - splitting out to each door.
4) control switches
5) winder motors
6) window winder mecahnism (the manual one can not be re-used !)
7) new door cards with NO holes for the winder handle (or the standard solution : chromed buttons to cover the nasty holes)

The doors must be stripped down - the winder mechansim replaced - motors fitted.
Then the center console area must be stripped to install the wiring harness and switches. The job pushing the wires out thru the door gaiters is really entertaining. And so is the faultfinding when things dont work as expected.
I promise you : more than a weekends full entertainment is ahead with this job :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

AndersDK wrote:6) window winder mecahnism (the manual one can not be re-used !)
It can on a Citroen AX. You can remove the manual winder by drilling out the rivets or spot welds ( can't remember which it was many years ago) and bolting on a motor from some of the old Citroen/Peugeot's like a 305 or 505. You can do the same to a Pug 205 as well. I did a few in my youth. You have to drill the 3 mounting bolts for the motor as well on some.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Just take out all the bits on a Xantia with rear electric windows and take it from there from the scrappers.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I did exactly this to my LX td, took about 2 hours to change over, all the wiring was allready in place, all I had to do was swap the hardware and fit the switches.

I bought 2 rear doors for £40 so I got the electric winders and the switches, you also need centre console switches and the binacle that they fit in to, the rear window dissable switch and its relay, the whole job lot just plugged straight in.

Whip a rear door card off and see if there are some cables with multiplugs taped up to the door, if so get cracking its a doddle.

Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave Burns wrote:Whip a rear door card off and see if there are some cables with multiplugs taped up to the door, if so get cracking its a doddle.

Dave
Why is it that everyone - but me - always find the wiring harness ready fitted ? :roll:
I've never (yet) had such luck :cry:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image