xantia front brake hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

xantia front brake hose

Post by _kid_ »

Further to my topic xantia handbrake question i may have a go at changing the offside front caliper for the mot

There are a number of items which the Haynes manual does not clear up (cant find much on the search either)

1) To remove the brake hose connected to the caliper, do i need a special tool or will a spanner suffice?

2) Will the car need to be depressurised prior to removal of brake hose, or is it ok to be in normal height, with the engine off?

3) When reconnecting the hose, is a new seal required or simply reconnect?

4) is there anything else i should be aware off, it looks fairly straightforward in Haynes
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The brake flexi on a Xantia is a conventional brake hose, just remove the wheel and replace it then bleed the brakes, no new seals are needed but be careful with the bleed nipple which is hiding on Xantia calipers :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Stewart(oily) wrote:The brake flexi on a Xantia is a conventional brake hose, just remove the wheel and replace it then bleed the brakes, no new seals are needed but be careful with the bleed nipple which is hiding on Xantia calipers :)
Stewart
thanks mate

do i need to depressurize the suspension prior to removal? I don’t fancy a green bath :shock:
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

_kid wrote:do i need to depressurize the suspension prior to removal? I don’t fancy a green bath :shock:
Not needed -
There is pressure to the brakes ONLY when you press the pedal :wink:

Remember to bleed the brakes after the job :
Have engine idle, rear wheels blocked.
Clamp a piece of wood between brake pedal and drivers seat. Now you have a constant brake pressure applied - no need for an assistent pumping the pedal.
Remove wheel where bleeding the brake. Then connect a long 6mm PVC hosing reahcing back to the reservoir. Open the bleed screw and bleed until you are sure no more air bubbles comes out - plus clean LHM is seen.
Repeat on the other side.

While working with the brake hoses - there will be LHM dripping/flowing out because of gravity pulling the fluid out of the reservoir. Use a jar to collect this spillage and have lots of papers & rags handy. Try cover the brake discs with a plastic bag to avoid the greasy LHM over the brakes.
"Wake up" the bleed screw while you're working with the hose. It may become a separate project if it snaps :(
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image