front wheel bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

front wheel bearing

Post by davethewheel »

has anyone changed a front wheel bearing on a xantia 1.9td, mine has just started to whine so i don't think it will be long untill it needs to be changed, iv'e changed a few before but not on a citroen and some can be a right bugger, i could always get a garage to do it but i'd rather do it myself as long as you can do the job with a puller :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The only really difficult problem is removing the outer bearing shell from inside the hub. This can be made quite easy if you have a welder. Run a ring of weld metal around the inside of the outer ring, when it cools it will shrink the ring and it will come out quite easily.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Or use an air impact chisel to push it out. My preferred method.
Unless you have acces to (or make yourself) a special puller bushing fitting exactly on the edge of the outer shell of the bearing - you can forget about using the puller approach.

Note : when removing the driveaxle (CV joint) from hub - consider undo/loosen the clamp holding the strut in the hub. This way you avoid possible damage to the lower swivel joint (easy to do :? ).
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

looks like using a puller is a no go then, i havn't got any access to any air tools but i do have a welder i'll give that a go if not i'll have to take the hub to a garage and get them to get it out :)