zx td water pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

zx td water pump

Post by 8304 »

sorry to post agian so soon had another thought:

i am going to change the water pump whilst doing the head gasket.

i would like to find a high volume one but think i will stuggle to do that.

do these pumps loose some of their pumping volume over time ie will a new pump do more than the last one?? or do they not deteriorate??

cheers
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Water pumps don't wear - as the blades just go round in water - so nothing to wear!

When they are very old they can corrode as the plating on the blades wears off and they can also leak along the shaft - but this was mainly a problem with genuine BMC / BL / Austin Rover ones which were best replaced by non-genuine parts.

As far as I know most of the XU range of engines share the same pump - from Turbo-diesel to 16 valve. Its possible there's a special rally high performance one - but you'll have to research this.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its been years since water pumps were a major issue. The vanes no longer corrodes. As long as the pump is turning, the vanes are pushing water around.
The major problem is any so small weepage from the axle seal - which very shortly will destroy the bearing - and then the pump axle starts tilting - and the cambelt is the next victim. But this only happens if service replacements are neglected. The pump will no problem outlast at least 2 cambelt replacement intervals.

You may try another route : especially on earlier cars the waterpump were of the separate (non block/head mounted) type with an alternator style fitting - driven by the aux belt. This gives you freedom to find/add a pump with alternate flow capacities. You then simply connect the extra pump "in parallel" with the standard fitted one - to up the coolant flow rate.
Mind you - you dont have to calculate with high rpm's on a diesel. (wont do you any good anyway)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

As has been said the pump is only an impeller and doesn't wear or become less efficient with age, unless of course the impeller gets damaged by internal debris, steer clear of any with a plastic impeller and get one that is made of metal.

Dave
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

thanks people.

i asked the question becuase at that point i hadnt removed the pump and wasnt suare if it had a rubber impeller or metal.

it took it out and it is meatal, and the one i replaced it with is metal so it will be fine.

the dual water pump idea is intersting - what about some sor of inline electric pump in the top rad hose? - newer cars have an electirc water pump to circulate the water ofter witch of i wonder if one of those could be adapted??
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")