zx td head bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

zx td head bolts

Post by 8304 »

hi

as in my other post the head gasket on my zx td has gone.

i transplanted the engine from another zx which in turn had this engine added at a previous date so i know the mileage but nothing else age etc....

this makes it hard getting bits for it and this is the same with the head bolts:

i went into GSF chelt and they said there was two types of stretch head bolt for the engine (1.9td XU9DT) so i bough both packs cos he said i could take back the ones that dont fit.

but comparing both sets from GSF with the ones that came out of the engine they are totally different lenghts - one set is much longer and bottoms out before tight and the other set wont even reach the block through the head -

any ideas - has anybody else haed this and do you thing the correct type will be asey to get hold of?????
cheers
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems then your problem is as you says "had this engine added at a previous date so i know the mileage but nothing else age etc.... "

I.e. the engine could as well origin from anything else PSA made - than a ZX.
Try gauge the depth of the bolt holes - that may give you a clue. Who says the bolts that came out is the genuine one anyways ?

There is one bolt you have to pay special attention to : the one that fits over the waterpump area. A too long bolt here will penetrate the water chamber. Not a laughing fun experience :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Are the spacers fitted under the head bolts or has someone omited them to use shorter bolts.

Dave
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

hi chaps thanks for your ideas,

ive got to the bottom of the head bolts issue now - i took one over to gsf along with the incorrect ones.

it turns out they gave me 1.9 non turbo ones and 1.7 turbo ones. so ive got the correct bolts now.

im getting the head back later today.

from the water pump and the types of idler and tensioner we managed to determine that the engine is after 1994 which i think is where most parts changed so i shouldnt have trouble getting bits in the future.

ive gone for a five notch steel laminated gasket. There was a small pit in the head from corrosion that i was going to get welded up but the chap the reconditioner uses for welding was on hoiday so i opted for a thicker skim off the head so hopefully it will all but remove the pit or make its area much smaller.
(the gasket didnty go near the pit and the re-conditioner doesnt thinik it will cause a problem....)

ill let u know how i get on putting it all back together....
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have no idea what the clearance under the head bolts is but whith that much removed from the head (even with the thicker gasket) I'd make sure that the head bolts don't bottom and give a false impression of tightness. Simply fit a bolt by hand and tighten it as much as you can then measure the bit sticking out and then measure the head. Hopefully (after allowing for washersetc) the head will be a bit thicker and all will be well.

Its also possible for the bolt holes to fill with crud when the block face is cleaned - just twisting a large drill by hand can usually remove this.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

jeremy wrote:Its also possible for the bolt holes to fill with crud when the block face is cleaned - just twisting a large drill by hand can usually remove this.
Or using a straw - blow out from the bottom of the holes :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image