ZX: cost of new brakes :update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Village
My Cars:

ZX: cost of new brakes :update

Post by Village »

The front brakes are making a "death grind" noise so its time for new ones. The problem is that have none of the following:

1) space to change them myself
2) tools to change them myself
3) mechanical ability to change them myself
4) inclination to change them myself

So my question is: What is a reasonable price to pay a garage/ tyre-brake place for a new set of front brakes (vented) and pads - fitted and squeek/grind free?

Your advice would be appreciated, as driving the vectra to work is no where near as much fun!
Last edited by Village on 31 Jul 2006, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.
French car free zone....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Standard ZX front brake pads are £13.60 + vat from GSF but I expect your garage will charge a lot more than that, plus an hour or so to change them if nothing goes wrong. Realisticly, you should be able to change them in about half an hour if everything comes to bits OK. So I would think anything from £50 - £100 would be reasonable, but its really not to difficult a job, you only need jack one wheel up at a time and a Haynes manual is only about £12.00. Mind you, if its been grinding for long you may need new discs as well £9.50 + vat each for standard ones from GSF
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Buy the parts from GSF as that will save you money for starters rather than getting the deal to "purchase" them.

Shouldnt be more than an hours labour really so should cost you to much in theory.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

How difficult is it change to discs too? are there any special tools required? I like to sound of new brakes for small money, the brakes on my old Cav V6 were £60 for the discs alone.....

ta
Pete
French car free zone....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I did some very dodgy words in that last post :oops:

In reference to doing the discs, are you referring to - You have drums at the back and want to change to having discs all round ?? Apparently it can be done and has been done and makes life simple, however you have to change some major components i believe. I assume the only car that was given discs on the back was the Volcane so my way of thinking (which i dont advise :lol:) is you would have to find a Volcane to remove the parts off.

If your just referring to replacing the discs on front then its p**s-easy from memory on the zx
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

I was referring to the front discs, so good news there for me :)

but I was thinking earlier on my way to a fire test, discs all round would be nice, and I need to change the rear sub frame mounts any way....... <goes off to ponder (mostly about finding to money...)>

Cheers
Pete
French car free zone....
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

i wanted disc on the back so i swaped my exisitng subframe for a volcan one.
its really easy - and if you have got to do the mounts anyway its not much more work..

dont forget the two alloy regulator valves for the rear calipers though (situated just behind the fuel tank on the botom of the car) - u will need them
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")