Xantia steering has a shake when turning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

Xantia steering has a shake when turning

Post by wonderd »

Since i replaced a hose that goas from the pump to the steering, i have this strange shake in the steering.
I thought it could only be air locked in the system, is that the problem?
If it is, how do i let air out of the system?

It's a non hidra active xantia.

Thank you.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

PAS systems are self bleeding in that turning the thing from side to side a few times with the engine running will cause it to flush out all the air with the fluid as it circulates.

Can you see in the reservoir and look for bubbles as the steering is turned? If there is air in it there is only one source and that's the hose from the reservoir to the pump. Is it tightly fitted, clamped and ain sound condition?

Otherwise you have another problem and I'd begin looking at the steering column joints which may respond to lubrication. More likely is the rubber disc (if fitted) connecting the column to the rack.
jeremy
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

As i said' it has started only after i replaced the main supply hose to the steering.
Before that there was no shaking or rattling.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Jeremy said the steering is self bleeding,but if your pump is still sucking air it will make the steering twitch,first thing i would check is the fluid level and the only way to do this properly is on level ground put the car on the highest setting whait for it to stop rissing then the yellow disc should be in between the two red bands
regards malcolm
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Thank you both, i will check to see if there is air getting in.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's useful when diagnosing faults to use all the available information :)
Is the steering still uneven when stationary?
Is the effect the same in both directions / on turning and re-centering?
How do the rack and pump sound - is there any variation corresponding to the movement?
When turning the wheel smoothly, how is the fluid return - a fairly even stream, or fluctuating with the twitching?
Is the movement still uneven with the system depressurised (steering will be heavy, of course)?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Also check the hydraulic pump drive belt for tightness, a slipping belt will give those symptoms.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If you are getting a regular beat through the steering wheel, which increases in frequency in line with changeing engine speeds, then it sounds like there is a cylinder down in your pump.

Possible cause is dirt ingress fouling a valve, or causing a piston to stick in its bore.

A 96 model has a 6+2 pump, therefore depressurising the system has no affect on the steering, because the 6 cylinders of the pump and their outlet are completely seperate to the rest of the hydraulic system.

Dave