C5 towbar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonM

C5 towbar

Post by SimonM »

Hi peeps :D I want to fit a towbar to my 02 C5 estate. Appearently all the bolt holes are already there so that should be straight forward. What about the wiring, I am sure I read that there is already a multiplug ready to connect the towbar electrics, can anyone confirm this or I am going mad :shock:
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

No idea about the multplug.

Remember the C5 uses a CAN wiring system, Make sure you ask or get help from someone who has wired one of these up before for advice.

Connect it up wrong & the cars electrical system will have a major sulk :wink:
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I fitted a towbar and wired 12N and 12S to my 05 C5 estate a few months ago. There are two towbars for the estate version, one pre- 04 and one for after. I've been fitting towbars on my cars for many years, and now, they have never been easier. Get the back of the car up on a ramp, offer up the bar and bolt it in place. Like Mecanno! Gone are the days when careful measurements had to be made and holes drilled and reamered out for sleaves. But the electrics are a different matter - they are more difficult. The C5 is multiplexed so it's best to install the wiring so that it's independant of the vehicle wiring. I fitted a twin fuse holder under the bonnet and took two wires of 2.5mm2 into the fuses. Make the wiring thinner and your fridge won't work well. From the fuses, I ran the two wires in a plastic tube down the back of the engine and through the conduit that covers the fuel pipes. They continued up over the fuel tank and into the car through the plastic disc that gives access to the tank. The wires then went under the wing cover and into the storage box on the boot liner. In there, on a board, I fitted a seven way relay and a smartcom. They both come with full instructions and are obtainable from http://www.towsure.com I didn't bother about looking for a multiplug for the road lighting. I just joined a wire with piggyback connectors. I've done nearly 3000 miles of towing since fitting and everything works fine.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My C5 has reversing/parking sensors. I read recently that if you fit a fixed tow bar it can effect the parking sensors and a removable tow hitch would be the better option.

I'm currently getting prices for a removable device. Citroen want just under 500 quid.

A few sites suggest that DIY wiring for a C5 tow bar is easy, even with twin electrics.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

There have been lots of towbars on ebay just recently, both of the removable and fixed flavours. Whatever you do, don't get the detachable Bosal, its a piece of c**P. I had one fitted to my car, and its already on its second swan neck, they seem to wear very rapidly and then come loose. :(
The original swan neck was replaced free of charge but it went the same way as the first one. I carefully built up the worn lugs with weld, so I'll see how long it last this time......
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

KevMayer wrote:My C5 has reversing/parking sensors. I read recently that if you fit a fixed tow bar it can effect the parking sensors and a removable tow hitch would be the better option.
This is true! However I also use a bike rack which is fitted behind the fixed towball. The sensors do detect it and sound as soon as reverse is selected, but there is an over-ride switch to turn it off. After all, I've managed without parking sensors for 45 years.

And yes! some sites do say that the wiring can be done in the same way as we did older cars, but the C5 is multiplexed and as Powerlee says, they don't take kindly to interferance of their system. A couple of micro-chipped relays are straightforward to install and keep the wiring independant of the car's system.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Gastropod
My Cars:

C5 Towbar

Post by Gastropod »

I fitted a Witter detachable towbar to my '02 C5 2.2 Exclusive SE estate.

The car has parking sensors and the parking radar is constantly sounding in reverse when the tow hitch is fitted.

As far as electrics are concerned, I wired into the existing rear lights using scotchlok connectors in the same way as in any other car . The CAM bus did not have any effect here.

The C5 is a powerful carr and the self levellening suspension makes it a good tow car. The only reservation is the large overhang behind the rear wheels of the car means that an unstable trailer can tend to 'steer' ther rear of the car more than is comfortable.

All in all, a superb car, just too clever for its own good!
meeper
My Cars:

Post by meeper »

"The sensors do detect it and sound as soon as reverse is selected, but there is an over-ride switch to turn it off."

Where is the over-ride switch? I've got a tow bar on mine and the constant beep when in reverse is really quite annoying!

Thanks,

M