94 ZX failed on emissions ? Update ****

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenbx

94 ZX failed on emissions ? Update ****

Post by citroenbx »

Just got my car back from the test station...It failed on excessive emissions.

When i got home and read the failure slip they had done a NON-TURBO emisssion test ?

Is this correct.

What i would realy like to have is the Gas Specifications for a NON CAT Turbo Diesel Test.

Anyone have a similar car and can dig out there Emission Certificate.

Thanks for now (Off to do lots of Citroen Repairs to get my car back on the road) Cheers for now
Last edited by citroenbx on 15 Jul 2006, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

what reading did it get? The different limits for a turbo and non-turbo engine aren't that much, so you may well have failed anyway.

limit is 2.5k for a non-turbo and 3.0 for a turbo if I remember correctly.
This is not a signature.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What was the figure?

Non turbo is <2.5, turbo is <3 so if it's between 2.5 and 3 you're OK - but convincing the computer it should have a turbo test might be more difficult! However, stick some injector cleaner in it, and then go and drive it like you stole it for a few miles, and take it back hot. Should sail through (unless it's really smokey).

Ours is due in tomorrow for the test :roll: hence the new brakes, and a few other bits also. Fingers crossed.
Richard W
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Also might be well worth fitting a new air cleaner element before you take it back !!

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I heard from an MOT tester , oil changes help.. plus fuel filter and oil filter...
good luck

John
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

The result was 4.35 and should have been 3.

Bought some injector cleaner i'll give it a full service have a shoot round and take it back.

Cheers for now
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The test for a cat diesel is no different than for a non-catted diesel. Wether there's a cat or not is immaterial, the only variance is wether it's got a turbo or not, the pass figure for a turbo'd engine being a bit slacker than for an N/A, as mentioned above.

When you drive it back to the testing station, do it in 2nd or 3rd with the revs right up on the governor for as long as you can, it'll sound awful but with a reading of 4.35 it's going to be neccessary to torment it.

The last test mine had before I reconned the injectors at around 200000 miles or so it still got in below the 2.5 limit, but only because I'd REALLY caned it beforehand. When I took the injectors out the needles were noticeably sticking out as the tips of the injectors had recessed over the years/miles. They were'nt good but it still passed....

To hit as high as 4.35 something isn't right.......see how you get on!! Hopefully a service and a good thrashing should scrape you through!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

bxbodger wrote:with a reading of 4.35 it's going to be neccessary to torment it.
I dunno about that. I've had an off-the-scale reading of 9.99 before now, and all it needed was injector cleaner, new air filter and driving properly for 15 minutes. After that I got a 1.5-ish

XUD engines can REALLY soot their exhaust pipes up rather badly. That's part of the reason why I never really drive mine very gently.
This is not a signature.
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

As per my earlier reply and fastandfurryous's above, the condition of the air filter can make a BIG difference.
I have got cars through that had failed (both diesel and petrol) by simply replacing the filter and giving the engine a good few revs on the way back to the test station.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Thanks for the Info.........Everyone

Well the Cars re-booked for Thursday so hold your breath's.

Just added injection cleaner and fully serviced the car..It was only done 3k ago but not taking any chances.

The car only does 14 miles day and i dont rev much past 2.5k so this i think could be the problem.

I'll post back on this soon.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If you can find some Biodiesel that will sort it, my car gave a smoke reading of 0.27 on the test (BX 1.9 TD) the guy asked me if it was running :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Removing the air filter element will help. but put it back in afterwards
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Yes i have heard about bio-diesel before and Veggie oil...No emissions.

Why do the Goverment condone this by heavy Taxing when its so Green ?

Are well i'll carry on trying to stop my sooty car smoking..Thanks again and stand by your beds.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As has been suggested, the most likely problem is soot in the exhaust system. You will be able to tell if you give it a good thrashing as initially you will get clouds of, not smoke, but soot and after a few full throttle high rev blasts it will start to clear. Failing that, your car will have a mechanical injection pump, if its a Bosch, its quite simple to reduce the fuel, thats got to cure it.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I've told my BIL to give the car a good thrashing every now and then to clear the exhaust but he doesnt want to damage the car :roll:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(