Steering Wheel Retaining Nut

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

3eme_attaque
My Cars:

Steering Wheel Retaining Nut

Post by 3eme_attaque »

Hi, need to take off steering wheel to attack the instrument panel, having never done before had a look at the haynes manual which says to replace the retaining nut. Thought this seemed a bit over the top but equally i dont want the wheel to come loose mid-drive, just wondered if people normally bother replacing it every time? Cheers
3eme_attaque
My Cars:

Post by 3eme_attaque »

sorry should have added this:
Citroen AX 1996, 954cc (Petrol), 76k
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Nope, didn't bother with mine when I changed it.

I guess they recommend changing it as it's a nylon locking type, which only lock 100% on the first use
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

you can get at the instrument panel without removing the steering wheel i've done this many times, however you do risk damaging the plastics but i've always managed no problem :)
3eme_attaque
My Cars:

Post by 3eme_attaque »

cheers, i tried getting at panel without taking off wheel but looks to me to be designed so you have to take the wheel off. Theres hardly any room on between the panel and the steering wheel and the bottom steering wheel shroud only seems to want to come forwards (middle metal mounting comes underneath it so you cant pull it up or down)t. Also i couldnt get to the bottom instrument panel screws with screwdriver, i 'spose this would be possible with one of those bendy extensions... having said all that, i bet i will take the wheel off and realise there was a way i could have done it without removing it! always the way....
Citroen AX 1996, 954cc (Petrol), 76k