XANTIA HDI DISAPPEARING LHM FLUID!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

penderri
My Cars:

XANTIA HDI DISAPPEARING LHM FLUID!

Post by penderri »

OK, i have a 200w 2.o HDI. About 6 weeks ago it develloped a "Knocking " noise when i tried to start it! I turned the engine off and checked the oil and water ( which were ok ). Then i noticed that the LMH fluid was low or empty. I purchased 2 litres and put 1.5 litres in the tank, started the engine whick still knocked and left it tick over for about 1 minute,( no warning lights ) then the knock went away. The car has been fine for about a week back and fo the shops etc,. ( i checked every day for leaks )
I then left the car for a week while in Spain . When i returned and started the car the knock was back and the fluid tank empty!
Any idea where the flid has gone?
Regards,
Alun
PENDERRI
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems the knocking is from a dry running hydraulic pump then.
With that amount of LHM disappearing - you MUST have greasy puddles under the car where parked :shock:
- or at least a very wet greasy spot somewhere in engine bay or under the car.

Its impossible to say where it leaks - as there is no "always there" it will leak from. Remember the hydraulic system is spread all over the car with piping to brakes and suspension - including return rubber lines etc. etc.
Have you noticed if the carpeting under the pedals are soaked with LHM fluid ?

If your hydraulic reservoir goes low - and you dont get a warning light (the very annoying STOP light) - you have a fault in the low level warning circuit too :shock:

It does require some DIY skills on cars diagnosing such problems. If this is your first experience with cars - I'd say you better let the garage fix it - then purchase a Haynes DIY repair manual on your Xantia. Much of the basic service and repairs are described in there.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

how did you check the tank level,as the only way to check the level is on level ground put the suspension up to its highest setting wait till it stops going up,now look at the clear plastic dome on top of the tank and the yellow disc should be between the two red bands,not the copper one as all this dose is shorts the two contacts out when the level is two low,a lot of people think they can check the level by taking of the filler bung and looking into the tank
regards malcolm
penderri
My Cars:

Post by penderri »

hI, NO WET PATCHES ON DRIVEWAY OR DAMP CARPETS ALSO NO WARNING LIGHTS! ( driveway concrete so i would see oil spots quite clear)Thanks for the help i'll just have to take it to my local Citroen dealer wher perhaps they may have a better idea.
Regards,
Alun
PENDERRI
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

penderri wrote:hI, NO WET PATCHES ON DRIVEWAY OR DAMP CARPETS ALSO NO WARNING LIGHTS! ( driveway concrete so i would see oil spots quite clear)Thanks for the help i'll just have to take it to my local Citroen dealer wher perhaps they may have a better idea.
Regards,
Alun
Hi Alun, Bassetts probably wont be much help to you - try LLoyds instead - he's just a few 100 yards right off Llangyfelach/Swansea Road as you're heading to Brynhyfryd after fighting your way through Dyfatty! He's a nice guy who knows his Citroens!

Andrew

ps, Llloyd's is a long workshop behind the flats and along as though you're heading back towards/under the High Street station bridges. Otherwise Stadium Motors opposite the new Liberty Stadium on the old bypassed Neath Rd is your other port of call - Dave Sohal is an friendly guy.

They're both going to charge you for work still, but not the hourly rip off rate of a main stealer!!