'Notchy' Xantia Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

'Notchy' Xantia Clutch

Post by Ross_K »

I've noticed in the last week or so that the clutch pedal action on the Xantia has become sticky (or 'notchy' for want of a better word) towards the bottom of its' travel. I can push the pedal past the notch and normal service is resumed. :?

With the engine off I can hear a slight clonk at the point where the notch occurs when pushing the pedal down.

Anything serious? Should I stock up on clutch cable and the dreaded plastic clip?

Cheers
ImageImage
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A "notchy" clutch pedal - i.e. a certain point feels hard to overcome - is a sure sign of the release bearing grooving into the finger springs.
Not sure if this symptom could be a dodgy cable as well. RHD cars are not exactly common around here :lol:

More common than not - you will still have lots of mileage left in the clutch before a replacing is on the wall ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Thanks for the speedy reply Anders. I thought I might be in imminent danger of something going 'snap'. :D
ImageImage
howzat
My Cars:

Notchy Xantia Clutch

Post by howzat »

Xantia clutch cables tend to dry out. I made a great improvement by adding molyslip by dripping it into the top of the cable near the pedal. Its not easy to get at so you need a long spout. I used a tube of molyslip into which I inserted about 8" of citroen hydraulic pipe bent round at the top. Hope this helps

Howzat
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Thanks howzat, I'll give that a bash tomorrow - I have a few other small jobs to do on the car anyway so I might as well kill a dozen birds with the one stone... :lol:
ImageImage
howzat
My Cars:

Xantia clutch notchy

Post by howzat »

Heres the detail. Remove small piece of trim. Wedge down the clutch pedal so that you can see the inner cable. Dribble the moly down the inner cable. You can only do a limited amount before it overflows so it is best to have two or three goes at it allowing the lubricant to work its way down between. Also check the spring device attached to the pedal and make sure it is well oiled.

Another cable that dries out is the bonnet release. Lubricate that before the cable breaks!
regards
Howzat
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Mine did this... similar to Anders description.. in this case the (probably badly fitted) release bearing melted and destroyed itself, it then ridged the gearbox input shaft.. finally gave up on one journey..

I brought a clutch kit, but on closer inspection the clutch was almost brand new, I only needed the bearing :(

I filed the shaft carefully - all was well after that :)

John G