Xantia Petrol Smell in Cabin

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steverino
My Cars:

Xantia Petrol Smell in Cabin

Post by steverino »

Hi Folks,

Every six months or so we get a strong smell of petrol coming into the car when first started in the mornings. I know exactly where the fuel is leaking from because I have seen it dripping - from where the rubber hose connects to the fuel rail. I have tried re-connecting in the past and have even cut about an inch of the rubber hose (in case of deformity) and reconnected using a quite meaty Jubilee Clip. All to no avail - after a few months we have the drip drip drip back again; almost always first thing. Is the fuel system at higher pressure when the car is first started?

Has anybody else suffered from this problem? I have to fix it somehow because I don't like the idea of my wife driving the car with petrol + a hot engine.

Any help / advice would be gratefully received.

:D

1998 R Xantia 2.0 SX
1997 Xantia 2.0 SX (wife's)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you have any petrol leaks at all they need fixing straight away,as they are a serious fire risck even more so in the engine bay,and as your leak keeps returnig your rubber fuel line must be perished so the only answer is replace the hole section with new reinforced rubber fuel line,NOT plastic or cloth bound
regards malcolm
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

GET IT FIXED!!

I CANNOT EMPHASISE ENOUGH THAT THIS COULD KILL YOU!

I got away with mild smoke inhalation when my 2.0i Xm went up like a roman candle - I stopped in time when the flames were creeping all the way up the windscreen from under the bonnet... :shock:

Andrew