Xantia Bonnet Release - Really Stiff.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Xantia Bonnet Release - Really Stiff.

Post by gadgetgricey »

Is there an easy way to lubricate the cable for the bonnet release, or is it normally that stiff.

The release mechanism under the steering wheel is flexing that much I'm worried about snapping it. Just as I think enough is enough the bonnet releases.

Also, just to confirm my worst fears, if the cable did snap, I assume its and absolute P.I.G. to fix.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Xantia 1.9 TD VSX, 1997
deian

Post by deian »

I'd just get a can of WD40 with the red straw and an old toothbrush and drown the mechanism in it. Then oil the moving parts when u can see them.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Creepy - just had the bonnet release fail on mine 20 minutes ago! The lever pulled right back and has probably stretched the damned cable as it's not going home into it's usual position... bother

I've just undone the surrounding plastics and unmounted the handle and have been able by bracing the outer bowden to get the bonnet to pop undone thank god. There's a joint on the various cables on the headlight panel above the battery side headlight where you can pull both directions to see which way is stiff - it looks like the twin catches are heavy so will need some smearing of LM grease to help things - WD40 WILL JUST WASH EVERYTHING but rarely lubricate it after it dries out.

Will update on further findings! :wink:

Andrew
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Sorry andmcit,

Not going to read any more of the horror stories re front suspension mounts, just in case I give myself the kiss of death.

Any updates re how you sort the problem would be great.

Cheers
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

gadgetgricey wrote:Sorry andmcit,

Not going to read any more of the horror stories re front suspension mounts, just in case I give myself the kiss of death.

Any updates re how you sort the problem would be great.

Cheers
Hey, all I mentioned here was a bonnet release failure! Hope that's the only coincidence!

Wouldn't wish strut failure on anyone, sorry if I seem to be carping on about it as I feel it's important - you don't want it to 'let go' when you're committed 10/10ths round your favorite bend...

And remember viewers, this wont happen to YOU, so don't have sleepless nights <<fingers crossed..>>

Andrew