lubricating strut pistons

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

lubricating strut pistons

Post by deian »

Hi guys,

We all know creaky suspension could be down to dry strut pistons, or this is what I've gathered so far.

Can anyone tell me exactly where and how to lube the strut pistons with LHM. I've been on that 'tramota' addressed site about bx/xm, and eventhough his description is thorough i can't quite understand.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Deian, Xantia struts don't suck LHM from the vent pipe like the old BX.
You will have to manually lub it up from the outside. From the way i see it, get the car on max height, and pour some LHM on the sealing ring. Drop the car down. This movement of the ram should "push" some LHM into the cilinder. Repeat as necessary to get a decent amount of fluid inside.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
deian

Post by deian »

oh thats good! i was wondering where the pipe for sucking was! so it's a little trickier with the back ones because those pistons are horizontal rather than horizontal.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

deian wrote:oh thats good! i was wondering where the pipe for sucking was! so it's a little trickier with the back ones because those pistons are horizontal rather than horizontal.
The back ones you dont have to lubricate - they are self-lubricating. In fact to such an extent that leakback hoses are needed. (The 2 plastic hoses seen on the bellow )

Best way to lube up the front struts is to grease the chromed cylinder seen under the gaiter in the wheelarches - when car is at max height. Best tool to do this is to apply the grease into your hand and then using your hand to apply the grease onto the cylinder. LHM is a bad lubricator - as it disappears rather fast - within a week or so.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Have seen two suggestions on this that to me seem logical.
One was to use a piece of oil soaked rag wrapped around the silver part of the shaft and sitting on the top of the outer part of the cylinder where it enters it, which I could see as being logical if the gaitors were still tightly in place, otherwise what acts as an oil wick could also act as a moisture and grit collector and be self defeating.
Other suggestion was lubing with one of these additives that supposedly coat engine parts. (Slick 50 type) The guy who did this claims it was a 100% success and whilst I've always been a sticker for coating them with silicone grease, he claims this stuff lasted much better and really freed his Xantia estate struts up really well.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I sprayed the front struts of my '98 XM 2.5TD with aerosol Teflon spray. Make a big difference and has lasted almost a year now.
Same procedure: max height, release bottom of plastic gaiter. stick the tube from the spay can in between and spay generously all around. Refit gaiters and do Citrobatics.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi NiSk :D

Got a Biltema ref for that Tephlone spray :?: :idea: :wink:
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yepp!
Part no. 36-4516

49,90 SEK

400ml.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

tx NiSk :D