C5 Rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

C5 Rear spheres

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

This may be a stupid question but how can you tell when to replace them?
On my BX worn out spheres are easy to spot due to a 'pogo'ing effect, but would not Hydractive 3 try to mask this?

Reason I ask is because my 2.0 110HDi (2001, 85,000 miles) seems to have a lot harsher ride from the rear than the front. Major bumps and holes it handles well, but the more minor imperfections on the road are really felt. In fact the ride has quite a 'jiggly' feel to it all round, which falls way short of the magic carpet Citroen ride you always hear of. If the rear behaved like the front it would be getting there. I don't know whether any of the spheres have been replaced before, but I suspect not.

And if they do need replacing, what's the procedure? It's a real pain having no Haynes manual for the C5. I have a sphere removal tool b.t.y.

What do you reckon?

Thanks
John
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Do the bounce test as it' is done to other HP Cits.
Open the boot, then push it downwards. It should go down some 3~4 inches (the front only goes around 2 inches). Do you have the Sport mode button between the ride heigh selector buttons(HA3+)?
The sphere reomval is the same as usual, hight to max, "crack" the spheres, then lower the car on the bump stops and wait 10 minutes for the system to depressurize. You will find a small block at the niddle of the suspension frame, with 3 hydraulics pipes and a nipple.
Put some rags around the nipple and with a 11mm spanner, unscrew it half to one turn max. Tighten it up, then replace the spheres and do citaerobics.
Of course, the car must be on a pit, as you have no access underneat it and it mus t go donw on its own on the suspension stops to depressurise correctly.

Good luck!
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its not usual for the rear spheres to go first as they carry a lot less weight and therfore do less work than the front ones. Check by 'bouncing' each corner to see how much movement there is, you should have 4 - 6", the back should feel softer. Worn tyres will give a harsh ride especially over small bumps as will over inflated ones. (tyres not bumps)
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

Thanks Francisco & Peter,

so are the three pipes and nipple on the rear of the car? (Not looked under it yet :oops: ) I am only used to de-pressurizing the BX from the front.

I don't have a sport setting, just the up and down arrows. The rear tyres are good Michelins, but I will check the pressure first. Also I have no pit. On the BX I would put on max height, place axle stands, remove rear wheels, crack spheres then de-pressurize and change spheres.

The bounce test: sorry to sound thick but I assume I do this with the engine running and if I don't get the required movement the spheres are shot?

Thanks
John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, with the engine running and yes lack of suspension movement would indicate faulty spheres. Sorry I am not familier with the C5 but I am sure the same hydraulic principles apply.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

You have the normal suspension of HA3. You could say it has the first ID suspension system but computer controlled 8)
If you are prepared to top up the LHS level with around 700cc, then you can do as you describe, i.e., put it on axle stands and depressurise the rear hydraulic system by unscrewing the nipple. But it will be messy!
You wil find when the cap of the LDS tank is off, one small opening on the filter inside; top it up to the just about covering that opening. This is the correct LDS level and it must be chech with the car on it's LOWEST position.
Oh, no need to have the engine running to do the test ;)
Francisco
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

I did the bounce test and got bearly more than an inch movement at the rear! The front moved much further and more softly so I've got some new rear spheres.
I don't have a pit but I'd rather do it Francisco's less messy way. Do you think I could do that with a pair of wheel ramps?
Regards
John J.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Just make sure the car is well parked at front, with both a gear and brakes pressed.
The ramps should be the height of the C5 at maximum height, for a "comfortable" work space :)
Francisco
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

Mmmm, I was going to have a go at this till I realised my sphere removal tool wont grip these new ovoid grey spheres :(
I called a Citroen dealer and asked if they would do it, assuming it would only take 15 mins and cost not much. Wrong!!

They say that changing the spheres themselves is straight forward, but they have to plug the car into a computer and 'electronically' de-pressurize the system. This will cost £70 to £80 at a guess (so probably more like £100) and they need the car for two hours!!
I'm supplying the spheres remember.

Can this be right/necesary? :?

Cheers
John
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

i'm using a normal sphere removal chain, and it fits okay on them :S
the procedure metioned is the one they do at citroën, connect it to the ECU, wait 30 minutes to depressurize and change the spheres.
Have you tryed the hammer and chisel method? :D
Francisco
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Sorry but the dealer is telling you porkies!!!

The C5 dont need to be plugged into a computor to release the suspension pressure, you can do this all from the switch in the car, (same as all cits)

Also a decent quality chain wrench will do the spannering for now, but as the car gets older and corrosion gets in you will find this not the case, as on the Xantia rears.

I have spoken to Pleiades (01487 831239) and they now make a new band wrench for the C5 spheres, It works the same as the standard sphere removing band wrench, (I have had the same one for years) but it is just a bigger band to take the larger diamiter sphere.

Regards
Slim
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I was going to suggest that it sounded like a load of cobblers but wasnt sure enough :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(