Got rear ended !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

London luke

Got rear ended !!

Post by London luke »

And to top it all off .......Even though the guy can afford to have a £9K car he couldnt afford the insurance.................. so its "fun" time as its not realy a crime as far as the courts or Police are concerend.

Anyway !

The rear hatch has a long buy not to bad crack in it and the locking system needs to be changed.

Then some quick repair to crack and then paint! Or swap door pver and maybe paint.

How easy is it to find a Silver rear hatch for a Xantia 1998 diesel turbo?
because I cannot find a good Citroen one near me.

cheers
nick
My Cars:

Re: Got rear ended !!

Post by nick »

London luke wrote:And to top it all off .......Even though the guy can afford to have a £9K car he couldnt afford the insurance.................. so its "fun" time as its not realy a crime as far as the courts or Police are concerend.
Erm, yes it is!

see the bit headed "Current Legislation & Penalties";
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 69-02.hcsp

So are the police not going to do anything about it?
deian

Post by deian »

driving without insurance is a big thing, the police look out for such cases more these days with the new system they have linking them to the dvla... if u had witnesses then you're sorted, courts will make him pay out damages hopefull.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

deian wrote: courts will make him pay out damages hopefull.
I suppose a possible complication could be that there is now a Fixed Penalty available for driving without insurance, in which case it wouldn't actually go to court.

However, there is the Motor Insurers Bureau who compensate people hit by uninsured drivers
http://www.mib.org.uk/MIB/en/Default.htm
The Small Claims Court is also worth considering, if he can afford a £9k car he can afford to pay for your repairs.

It's perhaps debateable whether its worth going through all this just to recover the cost of a Xantia tailgate, but personally I would on principle!
deian

Post by deian »

send the heavies around!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yep, thats one alternative, send in the "hired goons" :lol:
London luke

Post by London luke »

The Police reccon its 5 weeks before he will get a letter!! so for another 5 weeks he can drive with no insurance etc.

In London we have a new suad of "Smart cars" with CCTV cameras on top... looking for untaxed and cars without MOTs. Instant tickets given and can be clamped. Uses the DVLA data base etc ete Yet wont tough unisured cars !!

Try to get his details was a nightmare..... all this DATA PROTECTION crap ! what about protection for us !
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The problem is that due to third party cover for driving other cars being available on some policies, its not really possible to prove that a particular car is being driven uninsured just by checking the details of the car itself.
I have mixed feelings about this, I only insure with companies that'll cover me for other cars, its very useful sometimes to be able to drive someone else's car now and again, but admittedly this system does cause problems in trying to detect uninsured drivers.
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

nick wrote:The problem is that due to third party cover for driving other cars being available on some policies, its not really possible to prove that a particular car is being driven uninsured just by checking the details of the car itself.
I have mixed feelings about this, I only insure with companies that'll cover me for other cars, its very useful sometimes to be able to drive someone else's car now and again, but admittedly this system does cause problems in trying to detect uninsured drivers.
Been there. The Police will take a very dim view if the car was being driven on a 'trader' policy if the individual involved has no or very sketchy connections to the motor trade. The vehicle must also be insured in it's own right, with an individual, if the car was not being driven by it's owner. For instance, say he was driving a Porsche 911 that was in his name on the logbook, and yet his insurance stated he had a Ford Fiesta, then he would be asked to provide insurance details for the Porsche, if he cannot provide they would prosecute.

I still think that we are doing this all wrong in the UK. We should not be able to sell a car in the UK without visiting a 'Vehicle Transfer Station'. At the time we buy and sell a car, we must provide details of our identity, proof of insurance, and also put the car through an MOT at the same time. If our insurance on the car is sketchy, we must purchase insurance for that car only. We should also have our own number plates. We should be issued with them at the same time as our Full driving license is issued, and we should keep them for life. Obviously, we can apply for more plates if we need to, and other rules would apply to non-private vehicles. That would stop all of our 'mates' buying knackered, uninsured, non-mot'd 14 year old Rover 800's and driving them around like prats until they smash up another car and run off!
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you have detail of the other driver you can claim of the governments uninsured loses policy,i belive you have to ask the police about it as they might not tell you up front,you can only be payed out through it if you have the other parties details
regards malcolm
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Been there. The Police will take a very dim view if the car was being driven on a 'trader' policy if the individual involved has no or very sketchy connections to the motor trade. The vehicle must also be insured in it's own right, with an individual, if the car was not being driven by it's owner.
I wouldn't dispute that in practice the police would take a dim view of this, the trouble is that this is not actually what the Road Traffic Act says - my understanding is that the vehicle does not actually have to be insured by the owner, strictly speaking third party cover by the person driving it at the time is sufficient to satisfy the Road Traffic Act as it stands.

I appreciate that some policies specify that the car must also already be insured by someone else for the "Any Car" 3rd party cover to be valid, but equally many other policies do not specify this, and it is at the discretion of the insurance company concerned, rather than a legal requirement as such.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

London luke wrote: In London we have a new suad of "Smart cars" with CCTV cameras on top... looking for untaxed and cars without MOTs. Instant tickets given and can be clamped. Uses the DVLA data base etc ete Yet wont tough unisured cars !!
The ANPR database does cover uninsured cars now. The trouble is it generates too many false hits.

Simple solution to uninsured driving - have 3rd party cover included in fuel duty.
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

Surely if you include insurance costs in the fuel costs you are penalising anyone that pays for car insurance. at that point no-one will bother taking out insurance because someone else is taking the responsability for it away from them?

People know they have to have insurance to drive a car. So why are they not penalised for what is surely an open and closed case? You are either insured or your not, ignorance has never been an excuse?
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you are ussing someone elsses car it will be your own innsurance which covers you to legaly drive it with the owners concent,unless you are on the owners policy,but a lot of innsurance companys are doing away with that option
regards malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Adstar wrote:Surely if you include insurance costs in the fuel costs you are penalising anyone that pays for car insurance. at that point no-one will bother taking out insurance because someone else is taking the responsability for it away from them?
You would have the option of taking out fully comp insurance or insurance with better cover (e.g. fire and theft).

And if it means less people take fully comp then IMO that would be a good thing since it would reduce the spurious claims which are made at the moment.