bottom engine mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

Guys it's all OK! :D

I got the bush yea... from Citroen, just ask for the part number pay for it and walk away, there is no need for them to try to sell you anything else other than the part you've asked for, simple.

I have every confidence in you all 8)

*RANT*
:x...for someone who's never bought a bush or done the job, he will be naturally wary of information given by others, not in an insulting way, but in case they do it wrong or spend on the wrong item, people have had different experiences and there are different engines (granted this is a common part), different techniques, and the information can be interperated differently by the original poster and by others and this can sometimes confuse people who are just learning or putting input into the thread, on top of this we have gsf who know jack about their products, and then people get frustrated when they are giving free accurate information out of goodwill only for it to fall on deaf ears by wary newbies (namely me in this case, which i do apologise for). I feel the frustration from a few people in this thread was unneeded although I understand their reasons, I was never repeating myself, and I CAN source parts, gsf are a bit dim yes, so lets blame them for 'throwing the spanner in the works'
*RANT OVER*

... So can i now redirect you now back to the top of this post containing the words... it's all ok... (if it isn't i will report back for sure, you know me by now).... and if i have success I will report back too.

I will use AndersDK's freezing technique with my own idea of blowtorching the old one out, which will also heat the metal surrounding it causing it to expand ready for the new bush to be popped in, easy right! We'll see... stay tuned.

THANK YOU!

(the problem is resolved now, so maybe we can lock the thread? :wink:)
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,

Just a few words of caution:

If you intend to use a blow lamp under the car !!!!!!!!

I am sure you are aware of the precautions you need to take...

If not, don't do it...

Use the hacksaw...
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there is a lot of grease and oil under there,also you have the half way drive shaft gaitor prity close by where you intend pocking your blow torch,please take care and maybe have the fire brigade phone number handy,also which branch of GSF did you call because i find the guys at the feltam brach know all about the parts they sell and more and i have never had duff info from them
regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

yes there was a lot of grease and oil, the bush was WAS totally fouled before i cleaned it up so i can see it better, so it was bad, so bad u can see daylight through it the crackss, and it rocks a lot from side to side, i emailed gsf, got a reply from a guy called 'sergio', i emailed him back politely asking him to double check his facts, and only yesterday he came back saying, yes he made a mistake and that is in fact the part i needed, unlucky for them i went to citroen and got it off the shelf from them while i was waiting for a reply, i will do it on saturday, i will allocate a good few hours to do the job, there are always complications when working on a car, especially first time you do something.

thanks
deian

Post by deian »

guys, couple of question, when you talk about the "bush", do you mean it as a whole including the steel on the outside, or do i need to rip out the rubber from the steel, rip the old one out and snuggly push it into the old one?

what are the consequences of freezing the steel/rubber, they are different materials, i would assume the rubber would shrink more than the steel outer ring and therefore breakaway from the (i assume) adhesive holding it to the steel outer?

thanks
it's in the freezer now... but i lost the keys to my peugeot, so that is taking the drive and i'm not happy!
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

The whole thing including the outer steel tube. See my earlier post on page one of this topic.

I poked a hacksaw blade through the rubber then fitted the hacksaw frame to it and sawed through the length of the steel tube. Be careful not to cut into the alloy mount. The old bush can then be knocked out with a modicum of brute force and levering of the steel outer.

I made up a simple puller - a long bolt with suitably sized end pieces and used this to pull the new bush almost home and then tapped in the last 1/16" with a wood block.
A smear of grease in the housing and on the outer steel tube helps.
Others may have a different solution.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That's the way I would do it.
deian

Post by deian »

thanks, i'm sure the combinations of techniques and a mechanical mind with some common sense it will quite simple, although complications may crop up, i'm always aware of that fact.

Thank again yea, great help.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the rubber is stuck by its self being injected inbetween the metal parts of the bush,there is no adhesive involved it just bonds to the metal,i have just done mine yesterday and i did not freeze it,i just cut the old one out with a hacksaw then tapped the new one in using two hammers,one resting against one edge then the other and giveing it a blow with the other hammer on allternate side edges,if you understand what i mean
regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

one more questions before the big day tomorrow, i will raise the car and drive it some ramps, but do i need to support the engine before changing the bush? or will it be ok? thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not the engine - but the chassis - using support jacks.
(to protect yourself as the suspension deflates over time)

The engine is supported sidewards in this lower support mount - thus no engine weight except from the gravity rearwards when tilted up on the ramps.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

ok good, i've got some hefty blocks of wood cut to the exact height of the car with from the floor with the suspension up, and also suspension up and on ramps! yay me, thanks anders
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

Deian, for Gods sake, be sure its secure. I have only ever had one car fall off a jack on me. Thank God its was a 'jack-up' Talbot sunbeam, with about twelve inches of air underneath as standard! Be careful!
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
deian

Post by deian »

i'll be driving it up on to car ramps, so it's ok, i'm really paranoid about the safety aspects of anything with the potential of danger :wink:
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

It's always worth investing in a set of axle stands for things like this. It's surprising how many times you'll use them when you've got them too - instead of quite often balancing the car on a jack.

Halfords do them at a reasonable price. I've got a set of four and it makes it sooooo much easier working on the car. Bleeding brakes for example. You can get the whole car up on stands with all wheels off and it makes bleeding a breeze!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000