bottom engine mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

bottom engine mount

Post by deian »

Hi guys, (car is described below)

I decided to check my bottom engine mount today because coming on or off the accelerator you can feel a slight movement. OTher symptoms are slight vibrations under load going up hill and sometimes around corners, anyway...

I went under today and had a play with the mount with a big screwdriver it does seem soft and there is a bit of play, you can even see gaps where it was pressed into the brakcet (bigger side now), so can I be quite sure this is the problem?

Next... it seems like i need to take a driveshaft/s out, this bracked is attatched to a channel where the drivers side driveshaft connects to a connecting driveshaft coming from the gearbox. This worries me as it now seems like a big job! Can anyone confirm to me that I will need to buy one big unit, and not just the bracket, I guess the bush is pressed in at the factory and the unit is sold as one big part where the driveshaft have to come out.

See pictures here.... Better to go to the links as the notes help a lot!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deiz92/179709935/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deiz92/179709933/

Where would I get this mount? GSF? Or is it a Citroen only part?

Thanks Guys!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I could be wrong but I thought you could just get the bush?
deian

Post by deian »

Well this is what i'm hoping!!

But my cousin was with me so i could have a second opinion and he reckons you need the whole braket, although he wasn't entirely sure.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yep the bush is available as single part - some $7. Its the same for all PSA XU engines.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

I replaced one on a BX and did not have to take the driveshaft out.
It seems to be the same set up on the Xantia.
As Anders said, you can buy just the bush in it's steel tube.
If you saw through the steel tube, the old one will pop out easily but you will have to work out some form of simple bolt puller to draw the new one in. If you put the new one in the freezer for a few hours before doing the job it will make it easier to fit.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
deian

Post by deian »

freezer! ohh! sounds like a good idea, thats a weight off my mind, has anyone got a part number? i've been on the 'citroen pr net' thing and when i open the engine folder i get no other files to click on! I've tried both browsers (firefox and ie), can anyone do me a little favour and get me the part number? thanks a lot guys, you're great help
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Looks like you can make a new bush from an old shoe:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2046
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1809.16 ENGINE FLEXIBLE-BUSH Dkr99,40 (exvat)
GSF stock it too.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Strange this should come up as I have a similar problem on my 2.1td XM only the bush is fitted into what is part of the engine, so you must be able to obtain it seperately. I removed the bracket that ties it to the chassis and found that also has a bush in it which has seperated from the steel tube that the bolt goes through, so I dont know which one is causing the problem. I would be very interested in the outcome of your replacement bush.

On the XM there is also a stabiliser connected to the top r/h mounting, this can cause the engine to move as can the bolt being loose!
deian

Post by deian »

usually the bigger bush without a doubt!

all i did was a visual check for daylight and cracks, the bush should fill the metal, if it's covered in oil then u can bet it needs replacing, also get a big screw driver and just shove it into the sides and wiggle, no strength is needed, you'll know if it feels loose.

it's only £5.95 from GSF, i looked online at first but the part didn't show up online, you gotta download the pdf catalogue to see it.

i will let you know how it goes for me.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

the must all be failing at the same time then :D

I did mine on the BX (xantia TD engine) about 3 weeks ago (however mine was in a terrible state and vibrated violently on idle), did the whole thing in maybe 1.5 hours and i DID take out the drive shaft!

I took the whole lot out as i had intended to simply swap the mount over with another that had a known good mount, or so i thought, the outer CV had also died!

Ended up fitting a brand new rubber i had in stock that was bought for a 16v so i guess theres probably quite a lot of models that all take the same bush! On the bench i cut as far as i dared in two places, bent the flap out with a screw driver and used the lip to hammer the rest out. Then abused an anvil to get it back in (and a big piece of steel with a hole in it big enough for the metal inner part of the bush to sit in (other wise you can hit it till your blue in the face and never quite figure out why it wont go all the way in!

In retro spect i think its possibly easier to do the job on the car in situe, i certainly didnt have any difficulty getting the metal ring out, and the bush pretty much slid back in under force!

You'll be VERY glad once the job is done though!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for the info. I have to do mine in the car or take the engine out! Strangely enough, it looks easier to get at on the XM!
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Once the old bush is "hacked" out. What's the best way to *cough* "press" the new one back in. (If the mount is still on the car)?
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

LeeDJC wrote:Once the old bush is "hacked" out. What's the best way to *cough* "press" the new one back in. (If the mount is still on the car)?
Freezer - or a CO2 fire extinguisher :idea:
Then quickly *insert* the bush 8)

If you are not that fast - use a wooden block and tap it in squarely. Its not THAT hard to do :wink:
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Don't know if this is "urban myth" or not, but I have heard it said that the "spokes" in those centre pieces of these mounts, need to be set in such a way that they take the load under acceleration. If not, it has been said they can tend to collapse under the load and cause a transmission of noise through the car.
I have only ever replaced a couple and marked the position of the existing mount prior to removing and replacing, so I can't say whether it's correct or not, but might be a worthwhile precaution.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!