Xantia Alternator Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia Alternator Change

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Looking for tips, help, guide for changing the alternator on my 1997 Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon.
I guess i have to remove the HP pump to get at the alternator?
Got to get car recovered to home over the weekend and get replcement parts.
Need alternator, aux belt auto tensioner thing, new aux belt and some glow plugs. Looks like an expensive time.

Thanks.gav425
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Do you have the original 1.9TD AUX set up (spring loaded tensioner and manual screw out tensioner at the bottom), or the later '2.1 TD' style (Eccentric roller type manual tensioner)?

I've changed the auto tensioner on the earlier set up and it aint easy! Yes, you need to remove the HP pump first, then the alternator (not easy - we drained the coolant and took the top hose off the rad to get enough room to get it out - you could probably wiggle it out without, but we were changing the coolant anyway). Then you get access to the tensioner, but even then getting the bolts undone is awkward. IIRC the tensioner is dealer only and about £80.

If you've got the later set up, there was a post a while back about changing the auto tensioner, but the poster gave up as they couldn't get enough access to get it out :twisted:
Richard W
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

I have an auto tensioner at the top that i need to replce and then just guide rollers around the bottom area. :evil: :evil:

Wish me luck, i have not started yet but it could take sometime. :shock:
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles