Xantia Checks?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Xantia Checks?

Post by mezuk04 »

Well have finally got a place and time to do the 5k service on the Xantia (BIL's).

My current list of checks and fixes is to:

Add grease to the hinges and locks.
Citerobics.
Check the rubbers on the struts for failings.
WD-40 the height linkages

Any small little jobbies to be done while I'm at the car to make sure everything is hunky dory?

No major DIY work please, Im only a novice.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Engine oil and filter change ?
How old are the LHM, coolant, fuel and air filters ?
The hinges need something like engine or gear oil, WD40 is good for only a few days.
The door opening stops can also squeak, oil in the pivots, and grease on the cams.
A good look around the tyres.
I check tyre pressures by feeling their temperature after a drive of at least 10 miles.
The tyres on the same ‘axle’ must be equally warm.
The fronts warmer than the rears.
Not very scientific, but both tyres on the same axle are not likely to have gone low and warm to the same extent.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Yeah will be doing the standard 5k service.

3 of the tyres were changed when I purchased the car and 1 was brand new already on, so not concerned about them.

LHM & Coolant was done (new radiator) when I purchased the car in August and subsequently the last time the coolant was done was around Feb 2006 when a water pump and belt was done. (That coolant has been done about 5 times now in 6 months) hehehehe

No squeaking as of yet with the doors. Air filter was done 5k ago but gonna wait for the next 5k service to replace that.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Clogzz wrote:The hinges need something like engine or gear oil, WD40 is good for only a few days.
I agree with that, WD40 is not a lubricant, its quite good for cleaning stuff and freeing stuff off. It'll clean the oil and grease right off your hinges / linkages then evaporate, leaving them nice and dry. If you've cleaned your hinges / linkages with WD40, its a good idea to lubricate them with something heavier and more oily that will stay put and do some lubricating. Waxoil is quite good for hinges but your height corrector really needs a good coating with grease to keep the water and dirt out, waterproof grease is best if you have some.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I find motorbike chain lube grease very good on height corrector linkages. It comes in an aerosol can and seems very resistant to water - it refuses to wash off, even after a year or two theres still a good coating on there. I also use it on the top of my back fence to stop people climbing over :twisted:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I also use it on the top of my back fence to stop people climbing over
Thats a rather good idea, shame I dont have a fence of my own. :cry:
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Might be worthwhile checking the condition of the under-car pipework particularly the feeds to the rear brakes (the coiled ones) where these are attached to the suspension arms.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Duely noted
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Last - but not least :

Thumb up for good luck on a nice job 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

It gives me an excuse to sport my highly attractive High Visibility Jacket :lol:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well did the service Tuesday night.

Encountered one problem :oops:

When all was done, went to start the car and put her on high to roll off the ramps. She started badly and kept stalling and revving at about 500rpm. Started to get slightly worried, started thinking maybe theres not enough diesel but it was tooo bad for that. Lifted the bonnet up and started squeezing the fuel prime bulb and it seemed ok, glanced to the fuel filter and fuel was spilling out.

I was sure I sealed it tightly, so got the allen key and yup it was tight as normal, opened her up and thought hmmmm normally the seals 'stuck' on the filter (used a Halfords one this time round and the seal wasnt attached as it normally is with the vendor I have used for nearly 2yrs now). So thought, the seal may have to go round the filter not just in the recess of the housing, attached it round, tightened it all up and started like a dream.

The moral of this story is that even handsome guys such as myself run into problems. But me and my BIL both learned something new after that and I got a free pint of cider :lol: (irish stuff, Lovely !!! )
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mezuk04 wrote:The moral of this story is that even handsome guys such as myself run into problems.
Another morale :
- even handsome guys - like you and me - can fix problems :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image