Xantia's ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Xantia's ???

Post by DaveW »

I have just returned from a few days in France (Dordogne) visiting a sick friend.
Saw loads of Citroens as you would expect - masses of most models, including 2CV's - but strangely, in the five days I was there, only a handful (literally) of Xantia's.

Do the French know something we don't ........... ??

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Yeah ,most have been sold to unsupecting brit owners :lol:
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

steviewonder7 wrote:Yeah ,most have been sold to unsupecting brit owners :lol:
:)
njr
My Cars:

Post by njr »

I live a little further south in the Lot and see quite a few Xantias. In my village there are 4 (mind you I own 3 of them) and only 11 cars. The french tend to buy french cars (though this is changing) but Citroen is the least popular of the 3. I hardly see any C5's here.

The most spotted car at the moment seems to be an English registered 4x4 of some description. :wink:
03 Renault Master Dci 70k miles
02 406 HDi 110 65k miles
deian

Post by deian »

No offence intended here, and don't quote me, but this is what I feel most people gather about the french, especially if you haven't been there to experience the culture...

The french seem lazy and not bothered over most things, some would call them rude and dry in personality.

They do build good aeroplanes, they also jointly designed and ran the concord, and also do good cars that work well, they can also think outside the box... air suspension, etc, but from what i've heard from my cousin after his recent french trip, they are the above!

He also noted that a lot of older Citroen/Peugeot cars are around, but looking like sheds, i promptly pointed out that if u found a CX in the uk it would probably be enthusiast owned, where as in france they just run the thing to the ground, literally!

Personally I have a lot of respect for countries who can build good cars and think outside the box, so to me, the french are up there with the Germans, yes the japanise do good cars too, but they are weakly built (thin body panels etc) and are rather dull. (Oh and they do awesome music, think daft punk, air, etc)

So maybe they can't be bothered to fix the complex citroen cars they so well made. They are too laid back to bother with the complexities they designed for themselves.... in saying that, didn't they design the citroen cars with 'oleopneumatic' suspension becuase of the bad roads there?

Thanks
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

deian wrote:No offence intended here, and don't quote me, but this is what I feel most people gather about the french, especially if you haven't been there to experience the culture...

The french seem lazy and not bothered over most things, some would call them rude and dry in personality.

They do build good aeroplanes, they also jointly designed and ran the concord, and also do good cars that work well, they can also think outside the box... air suspension, etc, but from what i've heard from my cousin after his recent french trip, they are the above!

He also noted that a lot of older Citroen/Peugeot cars are around, but looking like sheds, i promptly pointed out that if u found a CX in the uk it would probably be enthusiast owned, where as in france they just run the thing to the ground, literally!

Personally I have a lot of respect for countries who can build good cars and think outside the box, so to me, the french are up there with the Germans, yes the japanise do good cars too, but they are weakly built (thin body panels etc) and are rather dull. (Oh and they do awesome music, think daft punk, air, etc)

So maybe they can't be bothered to fix the complex citroen cars they so well made. They are too laid back to bother with the complexities they designed for themselves.... in saying that, didn't they design the citroen cars with 'oleopneumatic' suspension becuase of the bad roads there?

Thanks
Or it could be that they designed the xantia with our bad roads (UK) in mind?
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
madmanbob
My Cars:

Post by madmanbob »

As a Dordogne resident (retired Brit), I can say that there are loads of xantias around here. I own one and love it. I may sell it this year and get a 4X4 to handle the snow in the winter as I was snowed in for 3 days in January!
I owned Citroens in the UK too, 2 GSAs, 2CV, CX DTR Turbo2, BX TZD Turbo, XM Diesel and a C3 16 valve HDI. Shame they don't make a our wheel drive.
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive which lives in the Dordogne. Previous: XM Diesel, C3 HDI 92 bhp, CX DTR Turbo2, BX TZD Turbo, CX D, GSA, GSA estate, 2CV