Gear oil question ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Vauxhall deleted the requirement to change back axle oil (and the drain plug?)
Have owned relatives of the old Vauxhall, and it did say to change the back axle oil ‘only at overhaul’.
There was no set ‘overhaul’ to do, it was just that in case the differential got taken out for repair, it was the ‘opportunity’ to change the oil.
The oil was usually a good black, but it didn’t matter because it’s always cool in there.
The book said to remove the lowest differential mounting bolt to drain the oil.
That oil, SAE 90, is the most tenacious viscous matter you could find.
After clean-up, you could still feel it in your hands for days after, and it smelled like cat’s doo. :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks once again for your input.I am quire suprised to see Engineoil appears to be the favoured lubrication for said gearbox.
Looks like,on verification with a honda dealer,that I'm going to opt for engine oil and let the gearbox oils sit on the garage shelf a little longer.

Just to extend this thread a little further,just to extend my knowlegde and lack of engineering prowess,why is it often advised that you have to replace the gearbox drive shaft oil seals once the driveshafts have been removed?
Are the the said seals so readily and easily damaged upon removal of the driveshafts that they cant be used again.Are they that delicate.I'm not trying to say I'm too tight and dont want to spend my hard earned cash on new seals but I find it a little suprising that they appear need replacing even if I remove the driveshaft(s) quite delicately!! Is it because Tolerances change easily and that there's no garantee that the original seals will do their job as they should?? :?
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The driveshaft/diff seals -

Manufacturer & main dealers :
"replace seals every time drive axles has been removed"

Haynes :
"always use new seals on reassembly"

Me as a moderator on a car advisory forum :
"Best to use new seals on reassembly"

Me - off the record :
"Replace if necessary"
Clean the seal and inspect - its quite easy to see if damaged. Old seal is prised out - new seal is pressed in squarely. Note the depth of the old seal before removal.

The explanation :
The splines on the drive axles have sharp edges - often cutting the edge of the seals when axle is removed. On fitting or re-assembly - you can fit a piece of stiff plastic over the splines - which is then withdrawn while the axle is homed in the diff. This prevents the seals being damaged.
Often the seals comes as a repair kit - oner seal each side - and then the kit usually contains an odd looking plastic bushing - sometimes as 2 halfshells. Use as described above then.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Looks like I'll pay Mr honda a visit in the next few days to see how much he wants to rob me for the the new seals then :cry:

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Just to finish off this thread,Mr honda said he would like £18 inc vat for the driveshaft oil seals :shock: and that you do indeed use Engine oil for the above mentioned gearbox :o

Cheers to all, Steve